Hi guys, I wonder if you could have a look over my plans for a trip to China then to Thailand. This is my first trip on this kind of scale and was looking for some advice on it to make sre im not being insanely over-ambitious.
I should probably point out its a city to city type of trip, due to this being my first and having my girlfriend with me, so im not heading off the beaten track very much. But any recommendations for sites in the areas Im going through would be welcome, especially Thailand.
The trip is going to be around 10-11 weeks in total, leaving mid-Feb 09, with 7-8 weeks planned to travel south through China from Beijing and hopping on a flight from HK to BKK with the rest of the trip spent there. Sooo...
- Spending 6 days in Beijing to start which includes a day exploring the city, a day at the forbidden palace and a day at the summer palace also with an excursion one day to the Wall (possibly Badaling).
- Travelling to Datong for the Yungang Grottoes
- Then onto Pingyao for a couple of days
- To Zhengzhou and onto the Shaolin Temple
- To Xi'an and inevitably the Terracotta Army
- Xi'an to Chengdu
- Chengdu to Wolong for the pandas (if of course everything has settled after the Earthquake tragedy)
- To Leshan
- and then onto Emei Shan for a couple of days trekking. Then back to Chengdu.
- Chengdu to Chongqing for the Yangtze Cruise
- Finishing at Wuhan
- Nanjing --> Suzhou ---> Shanghai
- A few days in Shanghai before travelling down the coastline before ending up in Hong Kong. (At this point I was also considering a detour to Guilin and the Li River before Hong Kong)
- A few days in Hong Kong before a flight into Bangkok
One thing that has been bothering me is that I really want to visit Yunnan as there are a fair few places Id like to see in the province, like Lijiang but im struggling to find a place in the trip for it. Possibly after Chengdu maybe but time and distance may play in as a factor against it.
I havent made a specific plan as of yet for Thailand, as all I really want to do visit the Islands, explore the seaboard and the Andaman Coast, I have no desire to go trekking through Jungles. One thing I have been considering though is crossing over into Cambodia to visit Angkor.
Thanks in advance for any replies, advice and help