Skip Navigation

Big Move

Travel Forums North America Big Move

1. Posted by browneyes (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y

This thread is marked as being about USA

Hi, i am in the process of making a huge move from the united states to the united kingdom to live there permanently. I was wondering if anyone knows other than passports what other processes i will have to go thru...or can i just fly there and thats it? I am a US citizen and so are my 2 kids. please reply as i need some help with this situation.

2. Posted by ethno33 (Full Member 20 posts) 12y


Do you have a job lined up in the UK? I don't believe you can just show up. I went to graduate school for a year there and I had to have proof when I showed up that I was enrolled and that I had enough money to pay for the year, because they didn't want me working as a non-UK citizen. Otherwise I would have to show a return or 'onward' ticket.

If you have a job lined up, then your employer should be able to write a letter for you.

Good luck!


3. Posted by adanac (Budding Member 11 posts) 12y

Excellent Advise!

4. Posted by stevieh (Respected Member 613 posts) 12y

Check - the foreign office website.
That may give advice on visas etc.
Only citizens of the EU can live and work in other EU states freely. You will need some sort of visa to stay for more than a few months.
Easiest way is probably to get a job lined up first.

5. Posted by browneyes (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y

OK thanks all, i do not have a job lined up as i have not been to the uk before. I wanted to ask another question...

If i plan to go as a visitor to the UK for the 6 month maximum period do i need to pay a round way ticket to the UK or could i buy a one way ticket and then buy the other when its time for me to leave again?