Skip Navigation

Using electric shavers, hair dryers etc.

Travel Forums Europe Using electric shavers, hair dryers etc.

1. Posted by caddy (Budding Member 2 posts) 12y

caddy has indicated that this thread is about England

I'm travelling through Europe next year. I'll be in England, France,
Switzerland, and Italy. Will I need to bring along a conversion plug
from the USA in order to use electricity for my shaver, hair dryer, cell phone etc? Thanks for your help.

2. Posted by tway (Travel Guru 7273 posts) 12y

Hi Caddy,

Yup. else you'll burn something to a crisp! I once worked at a hotel in Montreal where someone from Paris plugged their laptop directly into the socket. It caused such a wall fire they had to evacuate the entire hotel.

You can get converters at any Radio Shack, or similar store. I'm not sure if the UK and the continent require different plugs, though. Best to check first.


3. Posted by janzw (Full Member 39 posts) 12y

You need a traveladapter. These are available for a few $ and you can use them in several european countries, besides north and south america.

4. Posted by georgep (Respected Member 201 posts) 12y

Yes travel converter plugs you can get anywhere (even on the airport)

But check first if your equipent works under 230v instead of the 110 you use now. If not then you need a converter that converts that as well.


George "we travel the world for you"

5. Posted by stevieh (Respected Member 613 posts) 12y

Hi Caddy,
The UK uses 240v ac and a 3-pin plug. Mainland Europe uses the same voltage but a different, 2-pin plug, just to make life difficult.
You need to check your appliances labels. Many newer devices will run on any voltage between 85-240v, but you need to make sure.
You can get any converters you need when you get here.