1. Okay I'm in Chiang Mai... Is it best to just go through the Travel Agents and get a package tour to Luang Prabang?
Its going to be about 90 US dollars, including the VISA or almost 3,000 baht.
2. If I enter through Bangkok, I will get to the Capital city for less than 1,000 Baht. The Visa might be cheaper if I get it through the embassy, and wait for a couple of days. (TRUE OR FALSE).
3. If I decide to go to Luang Prabang, I could take a bus from Vientienne?
4.If Luang Prabang is about Pagodas and Temples and more temples... I should save it for next year. I would rather go to Phuket. But what is in Luang Prabang?
5. Can I just go to the Border in Chiang Khong and not go through the package tour. Or is it practical to just go with the travel agencies.
6. Can we enter myannmar by land through LAOS??? oR ARE THE LAND CROSSINGS CURRENTLY cLOSED. tHEY say its closed in Thailand.
i unfortuantely dont have any answers for you, but i'm DEADLY curious to see your responses. I'm travelling from Thailand to Laos in a few months and most of the grey area in my itinerary revolves around how to make border crossings happen.
get a visa in bangkok, wait a few days? or just go to the border and see what happens?
I'll be keeping posted here. good questions...
I am the same boat as Lady Croft but do know a little about the Visa entry requirements.
1. A friend who has just recently returned told me they booked a package through a guesthouse he was staying at. As you may know most guesthouses offer this service and give you the option to go via bus/slow or fast boat and include a nights accommodation. He told me definitely take the slow boat through to luang prabang as the scenery is cool and its relaxing and enjoyable just cruising down the mekong river.
2. Not sure about bangkok, but I dont think you will save to much money getting the visa from the embassy (also the above route is v.enjoyable so I am told)
3. There are buses running from Vientienne to Luang Prabang, though I have been told be sure to check out the bus before booking because I had a friend who jumped on what was supposedly a 'VIP' bus of some sort, but did not even have a toilet!
4. Have not been yet so cant help you there. Though I know Phuket and LP are two very different places. If you want a more going out/beach/drinking atmosphere Phuket is the place to go, or even to Vang Vieng in Laos if that is what you wanted. LP is there to appreciate good food, architecture, temples etc
5. Its best to go via a package because the tour people sort out all the visa requirements etc when you stay the night at the border so it is less hassle to some extent. It is possible to go it alone though.
6. UK foreign office this border crossing is still open; it does advise however that any border crossing could be closed without warning, and also states that 'You must exit Burma at the same border crossing from which you entered'.
Hope the info helps guys! Though someone who has been could probably give you a more detailed info!!
Someone selling a tour package told me that Filipino passport holders dont need a VISA to LAOS. That should be the case for all ASEAN member countries. But I learned that Vietnamese people cant go through Cambodia without a Visa. So I am not very sure about it anymore. 30 dollars is a lot of money. If that is the rate? I read online that a Visa to Laos can go as low as 8 dollars. I know if you want the express, you pay more. Which made me think about going back to Bangkok to apply for the Visa through the embassy. But I guess I am being to cheap already. Unless there is an award for the world's most economical backpacker, Id take that route.
So I guess I'll take the slow boat to LP then... I still wish I won't have to pay for the VISA.
7. CAN WE GET VISA TO CHINA, in LP or the border to YUNNAN???
8. Has anyone crossed the border to Myannmar from LAOS???