Skip Navigation

English Qualifications in OZ

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific English Qualifications in OZ

1. Posted by Ricardo (Budding Member 79 posts) 8y

Hey guys, I was just wondering how much english qualifications counted for in OZ. I am a qualified general plumber in the UK and a friend has said that to get a good job in OZ you need to have "Locally" recognised qualifications i.e english ones don't count.
Does anyone know much about this?
I was hoping to get sponsored or something out in OZ but am unsure now whether my english quals will count for anything.

2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 8y

General Plumber is on the Skilled Occupation List for migration. You would need to pass an assessment of your qualifications and experience before a visa is decided upon - and likely again once you're in Australia to become licensed you may need to take a course to be recognised as a plumber.

A 175 visa may be the one you're looking for, though this is an independent visa rather than sponsored.

I'd advise having a good look at the DIAC website (linked to above) to find out more - and if necessary talk to a few migration agents. An initial consultation is usually free with them, and they should be able to advise further if you can't find specific information via the DIAC website.

3. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 8y

Forgot to mention - when looking for migration agents (if you decide to do this), make sure they are a MARA Registered agent (you can check on that website).

4. Posted by SOMV (Budding Member 57 posts) 8y

Hi Ricardo,

I saw your post on the website and thought I'd let you know that you will be fine with your UK qualifications - whether you want to go out temporarily or permanently. Just like mojorob said, if you do want to go out permanently then you will need to obtain a skills assessment first. But the advantage of doing this is that along with the skills assessment you will also get either an Australian qualification (for non-licensed trades) or an Offshore Technical Record (for licensed trades) that entitles you to a provisional licence.

If you want more information about your visa options feel free to send me a message. I am happy to help.


5. Posted by Ricardo (Budding Member 79 posts) 8y

cheers for that advice. May be in touch soon Veronika.Ta