I'm planning a trip to the Netherlands to visit family in Febuary. I am hoping to jump over to Sweden to see an old friend. Are there any metal shows scheduled for this winter yet. I am a fan of bands like In Flames, Opeth, Nevermore, etc... Also open to bands i am not familier with. A metal head like me can't go to Northern Europe with out catching a good rock show. Any ideas??
well i am not sure about the bands you mentioned as i am not a metal head, but if you like your blues/rock type music then there is a bar in amsterdam called "the last watering hole"which is free to get in and has bands every night, so if you are lucky you will see a good band, or if you are unlucky they will be rubbish, but it is a cool bar (and to be honest, i hate blues/rock). it is now in the leidseplein having moved from the red light district. also if you play an instrument or sing you can get up and play yourself.
Thanks man! I'll be sure to check it out.
Hi MegaGer.... Well if you're going to the Netherlands and Scandinavia then I have some awesome tips for you. Of course it all depends what kind of metal you're into but here's some of the stuff I like and think any metal fan should check out.
In The Netherlands
Check out the following bands or venues:
- Whispering Gallery - Dutch doom metal band
- Delain - Melodic metal band (sometimes called gothic metal) formed by former members of Within Temptation and Theatre of Tragedy
- Nemesea - Dutch industrial/melodic rock/metal band
- Autumn - Bit softer melodic Dutch rock
- Venues that always have awesome gigs: Melkweg or Paradiso (Amsterdam), 013 (Tilburg), Doornroosje (Nijmegen), Tivoli (Utrecht), or Boerderij (Zoetermeer)... To name a few.
Check out the following bands...
- Nightwish - Known worldwide so probably don't need to give info on them :-)
- Sirenia - "Sounds like a mixture of gothic metal and rock with classical influences, as well as black and death metal elements."
- Octavia Sperati - Music that is grounded in doom metal, heavy riffs weaved around ethereal vocals.
And I could go on forever... Too many awesome bands over there. I'm jealous mate that you're going over there to see these bands live. Have fun.
Nightwish used to rule... and it STILL rules.. Hope to see them live one day.. one of the best when it comes to Scandinavian metal.
ROCK ON guys.
In few days there is a big party for metal, Metal Loaf here in Linköping.
I think it's a big party for metal songs.