I am traveling from Amsterdam to Berlin in October and have looked at several available options. We are on a tight budget and the cheapest option we have as of now is the train - seater.
I would also like to look at the option of driving (even tho it may not be cheaper than the train) to and fro but there isnt much info available. Would really appreciate if someone can help answer the following questions:
1. Amount of time (i read somewhere it takes 7 hours)
2. App cost of renting a car for 4 days
3. Any issues with crossing the border?
4. Any issues with renting a car in Amsterdam and taking it to Germany
5. App cost for gas.
Any recommendations on accommodation will also be highly appreciated.
Thanx in advance
1) according to maps.google.com it takes around 6 hours, so 7 hours is probably a realistic figure.
2) You should be able to find this out looking at car rental companies' websites such as Avis, Europcar, Hertz...
3) You shouldn't have any as long as you have a valid passport and, if applicable, a visa. Usually they do not even check passports or anything as both countries have signed the Schengen agreement.
4) Again, you'll be able to find out by contacting the car rental companies.
5) Around 120 Euro I'd guess.
Takes a bit of research on your part, you know...
Accommodation I can recommend:
http://www.jgh-berlin.de/jgh-en/the-youth-hostel/index.php (stayed there, was clean and had good breakfast, quite good location, not too far from the centre)
http://www.wombats-hostels.com/berlin/ (haven't stayed there but seen reports on it on TV which made it look really good)
Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!
it usually costs ALOT more to pick up your car at one place and drop it at another..... they'll charge you extra for it so be aware of that!!