Skip Navigation

New UK driving license to Sydney

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific New UK driving license to Sydney

1. Posted by TomAce (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y

Hi, I’m moving from London to Sydney late October. I’m desperately trying to pass my driving test in England (my 3rd test is 06th October 2008!) Please wish me luck! ****please***

I wanted to do it in UK because I read up on it, and if I pass a driving test in Australia, there are so many restrictions. …

Is it true that even if I pass my driving test in the UK, I can’t drive in Oz until 18 months after that???

2. Posted by Cyberia (Travel Guru 1831 posts) 8y

If you are here for more than three months, you will need an Australian licence. This may help:

Over 20,000,000 have driving licences in the UK. It is just a matter of remaining calm and taking your time. Do not rush. Get a few different friends who do drive (and are good drivers) and take them for a drive, acting as though it is a driving test and have them point out any mistakes you make AFTERWARDS (so as not to interfere with your driving).

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4895 posts) 8y

The three month limit is only when you move to Australia permanently (e.g. become a resident) - if you're there on just a working holiday visa, you can keep driving for the entire year (or even two) on your overseas license.

The rules vary slightly from state to state, but they should all agree on that. See for example the rules for Victoria.

I have never heard of this "18 months after" rule, nor does that page say anything about it, so I think you can safely ignore it. Just as long as your drivers license is a full and valid drivers license, and the 18 months thing isn't due to it being some sort of "temporary learners license" or somesuch.

4. Posted by TomAce (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y

Thanks very much for your advice and details. Phew! I though I had spent all that money in vain.