Skip Navigation

London work visa?

Travel Forums Europe London work visa?

1. Posted by arelingado (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y

I am planning on moving to London in December 2008. I am a 23 year old American from New York City. Does anyone know what type of work visa I should be applying for?

Thank you,

2. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 8y

The one you're looking for is the new Tier 1 programme which has, just recently, replaced the Highly-Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP). My American friend is also applying for this. For more information, check out the UK Border Agency Visa Services.

If you're a full-time student and only want to work here for no more than six months, you could go for BUNAC's Work in Britain programme instead.

3. Posted by arelingado (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y

Is it possible to go to the UK without a work visa? And can I just apply for my work visa once I am already there?

4. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 8y

Yes, you may enter without a work permit, but only as a tourist. As a US citizen, you are allowed to stay for three months, but you are advised by the UKBA to apply for the Tier1 one month before you have to leave the UK (when the three-month period ends).

See here: Tier1 - When and how to apply