Skip Navigation

travel insurance

Travel Forums General Talk travel insurance

1. Posted by joker69696 (Budding Member 23 posts) 8y

were do you all go for travel insurance for 12 months or more as i'm going round the world and just wonderd were was best place to go for it

2. Posted by jeryan86 (Budding Member 7 posts) 8y

I'm leaving for a 15 month trip in less than 2 weeks. I've had good look around and think i'm going to go with Swiftcover. There fairly cheap and they cover you for all the basic sports i.e. scuba diving (30 metres), white water rafting and deep sea fishing amongst more common activities such as skateboarding and cycling. They also cover your money (upto £100) and baggage.
If anyone would suggest someone better, please could you do ASAP.

3. Posted by joker69696 (Budding Member 23 posts) 8y

how much that costing as i have looked today on insure an go and the backpacker cover is about £185 and the bronze is £134 for 12 months

4. Posted by jeryan86 (Budding Member 7 posts) 8y

I think it's £188.06. I had a look into insure and go on a recomendation, i thought they where expensive for what they offered. Is the £185 for gold level? Does that include baggage, money and sports?

5. Posted by sofe1978 (Respected Member 127 posts) 8y

Hi There

I went with World Nomads and have found them excellent so far, especially as you can extend your cover while you are travelling. I have even had to claim for dental work while in South America and they dealt with it quickly.



6. Posted by jeryan86 (Budding Member 7 posts) 8y

Hey Sofe,
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay and what level cover did you get?

7. Posted by sofe1978 (Respected Member 127 posts) 8y

Hey J

Nope don´t mind at all...

They only have one basic standard of cover which even covers for some adventure sports.. bunjee jumping etc I think you can pay a bit more too if you want to cover skiing etc but I didn´t need that.

We paid £232.16 each for 12 months cover and then another £28 to itemise my Ipod and camera (you do these per item and pay about £14ish per item depending on how much money you want to cover them for)

You can get their insurance for anything from 1 week to 18 months. If you only take 12 months you can extend it while you are out there which is what we are going to do.

Hope this helps but let me know if you need anymore info.



8. Posted by oscar1951 (Budding Member 5 posts) 8y

I normally use either Travel Insurance Direct or Trailfinders. Trailfinders can cover you if you have already travelled but if you remember to pick up cover before travel (I don't always!!!) then Travel Insurance Direct do a fantastic backpackers policy which I think is called the discovery. I believe a year is around the £170 mark.

Hope that is of some help.

[ Edit: Edited on Oct 21, 2008, at 2:31 AM by oscar1951 ]

9. Posted by bwiiian (Travel Guru 768 posts) 8y

I normally go with "insure and go" for about £40 a year. I don't know how people are paying in the £200 a year mark?? Basic cover for £40 does me. Plus make sure you get your free euro insurance cover. Used to be called E111. Think its changed its name now and you get a little credit card type card for your wallet.

Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7