Skip Navigation

Is that possible to study in europe

Travel Forums Europe Is that possible to study in europe

1. Posted by liupengfei (Budding Member 4 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

I am a Chinese teaching mandarin in Surabaya currently.

I am planning to apply a position as mandarin teacher or chinese cook in one of the european country.

I am planning to study in Europe. I want to take a psycology as my major study. And I hope during the holidays I can get some part time work as well.

I also hope my daughter can study there as well. She is now in Junior 1.

If any friends knows where to get the information please leave a message here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.


2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

It is possible to teach Mandarin in European universities. But for these positions you need to have a university degree either in Chinese literature or as a teacher. Do you have formal training as a teacher for Mandarin?

Finding a job as a cook will be difficult. There are so many Chinese in Europe already and almost everybody there wants to work as a cook. The immigration offices and embassies do not give work permits to Chinese who say "I can work as a cook", they give work permits to people who can work as teachers, engineers, doctors and computer specialists.

If you want to study in Europe it will cost you a lot of money. Students will be given a limited work permit and the amount of money you can earn on this work permit is not enough to support yourself.

If you want to study in Germany for example you need approx. 750 EUR per month just for you. If you bring your daughter with you will need approx. 1200 EUR per month. A typical student job pays around 200-400 EUR per month. So about 1000 EUR per month have to come out of your savings. It will take you 4 years to study Psychology in Germany, so you need about 50 000 EUR in the bank.

The situation is similar in other countries. Cost of living in Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, etc) is a bit lower and higher in Western and Northern Europe (Sweden, Norway, UK, Paris, Amsterdam, etc).

If you do not have any money your best chance is to apply for a scholarship. In Germany scholarships are given to gifted foreign students who have already completed their Bachelor degrees and are looking to do masters in Germany. Do you have a Bachelor degree?

Finally: How old is your daughter?

3. Posted by liupengfei (Budding Member 4 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

Thank you very much for these great information. I graduated from Chengdu University major in preschool education. My diploma will be issued 2009(I have finished all the course), then I am qualified to apply teacher's license in China as a preschool educator. I am currently teaching in one of the international preschool here in Surabaya as well. My daughter is 15 years old at this moment. In 6 years she will finish her senior high school here. And I will try my best to provide the money we need for the study. I really want to take the schollarship from one of the universities in Europe. I will prepare myself within 6 years.

Once again thank you very much for your efforts and your prcious time. Keep in touch and update the informations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours Louis Liu Peng Fei

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 9y Star this if you like it!

So you are a kindergarden teacher? I can see a possibility that you might be able to find a job in the UK, the Netherlands or in Germany in a private, very exclusive kindergarden.

I saw another post from you stating that you have already learned Dutch for 3.5 years, so I hope one of the experts on the Netherlands answers here with tips on finding a job.

For jobs in Germany you can try to contact the ZAV. Their email is

ZAV(at) (Replace (at) with the email-sign.)

They are a part of a government agency dealing with unemployment and within this agency they are the specialists for finding jobs for highly qualified people or for people who have unusual qualifications. Apply as a kindergarden teacher who can teach Chinese too. Be aware that in Germany this is a job that women do and that men are discriminated against.

It will however be very difficult to find a job at a university teaching Mandarin to students of Sinology with your qualifications. You can still try though. Get a list of all universities in Europe that teach Mandarin to students and then write to the professor in charge of the Asia or Sinology Department, asking for a job.

[ Edit: Edited on Sep 28, 2008, at 12:32 AM by t_maia ]

5. Posted by liupengfei (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Thank you very much. I have sent a mail to ZAV. Anyway it is still a long time. Just try my best to prepare everything requested by european countries. I hope it will help me more to find a position there. Thank you. Louis Liu Peng Feifrom Surabaya.