Skip Navigation

UK citizen go backpacking in W Europe and learn Spanish

Travel Forums Europe UK citizen go backpacking in W Europe and learn Spanish

1. Posted by opjkbn (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi All!

I am new here and I have been searching for places that I can learn more about backpacking in Europe before, not much progress made.

Honestly I was amazed by the tones of information here and I do want to tell you all my case so that I can receive some wise guidelines.

So here's my case:

I am an ethnic Chinese, Born and raised in Hong Kong and I am now 19.
I am transferring to either UCLA or UCBerkeley or UCDavis studying political science.

I was born a British Citizen ( thus I have the full right to live, work and travel in the EU, I suppose?) thanks to my dad and mum, who had lived there for a decade before returning back to HK.

I went to the United states alone as an international student for undergraduate school (that means I had to take of myself and away from my family) and now I have finished all the required class for my second year in college, that gives me 8 months of uncommitted time that I could use before beginning my third year in the coming September. (December to July, I want to come back a month before school starts so that I can settle things).

Here's my plan, see if it works or not.

I will first spend three months in some Spanish immersion school in Madrid, Valencia and maybe Barcelona. It is a very intensive Spanish class that there's 30 hours of class every week, so I guess I would be able to speak some Spanish after 12 weeks (3 months). Meanwhile I will be staying with local hosting families and enjoy the places.

I will then go backpacking for about 5 months around western Europe, and maybe staying in Spain for a extra month or so to really start using Spanish. (My mother tongue is Chinese and I am confident to say that I speak English quite fluently.) I think I can find myself some extra money by working in some restaurants ( I wonder if it's possible to do so in my case, I am a EU citizen but I didn't have any kind of documentation there, coz I really haven't been living there.).

And do you think it's a good time to take the trip or maybe I should postpone it till later? My dad said I also have the option to work in an good internship in Mainland China, he said it would be easy for him to get me one.

But I really think this might be an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I really think I would gain much from that.

Please comment, Thanks!

2. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Just curious since you said you were born in HK. Being an ethnic Chinese born in HK, there is a good chance that you are actually a British National (Overseas). BNOs are not British citizens, which in turn, not European Union citizens as well. But if you have a British passport with the words European Union on the cover, then yes, you are a British citizen, and have full rights to live and work anywhere in the EU.

3. Posted by opjkbn (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi Hien

Actually I am quite sure that I hold a British Citizen Passport.
And it has the word "European Unit" printed on it.

My dad and mum gained their Bachelors, Masters and PhDs in UK,
and worked there for ten years plus. I guess I am also eligible of many benefits in UK,
coz they have been paying taxes for twenty years.

The funny thing is that I've never been to the palce, haha