Skip Navigation

Studying abroad in London. how does it work?

Travel Forums Europe Studying abroad in London. how does it work?

1. Posted by bryden (Budding Member 9 posts) 8y

Hi All,
Please do excuse if this is a stupid question but im having trouble finding any useful information on how I would go about studying in the UK, more specifically London. Im an Australian living in Aus with no family or anything over there. would i just need a student visa? does this include entitlements to work part time to support myself? do overseas students need to pay upfront for courses or is there a similar system as in Australia how you can do it like a loan?


2. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 8y

Quoting UK Border Agency

Can I work?
You can take part-time or holiday work, but you must not:

  • work for more than 20 hours a week during term time unless your placement is part of your studies, has been agreed with your educational institution and leads to a degree or qualification awarded by a nationally recognised examining body
  • do business, be self-employed or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer, or
  • work full-time in a permanent job.

Source: Visa Application Guidance: Students (INF 5)

3. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 8y

Be aware that the immigration system in the UK is being overhauled right now - info for foreign students