Skip Navigation

usa help plesae

Travel Forums North America usa help plesae

1. Posted by ama (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi everyone iam looking at heading over to the us from england just wanted to know:

  • Do i need to get a visa to travel? or
  • If i wanted to work do they do a working visa?

Hows the best way of applying if so, and how long does it take

Many Thanks :-)

2. Posted by kevandshan (Full Member 142 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

The UK is a part of the VWP, which means that its citizens do not need to apply for a visa (visa waiver). There are conditions (ie must have no criminal convictions etc, only valid 3 mths, no work).

If you are wanting to work you will need to apply for a different category. Similarly, if you are intending a longer stay than 3 months you will also require a visa.

If using the VWP (visa waiver) you must also now lodge with CBP prior to travelling, you must also have a macine readable passport/ or passport with bio features (check CBP website for more details):)

3. Posted by Daawgon (Travel Guru 2009 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I seriously doubt if anyone in their right mind in Washington would grant you a working visa under the current conditions! However, if you have a marketable British accent, you have a quality much in demand in this country (of fools), and I doubt that you'd have a great deal of trouble finding temporary employment (under the table) - I doubt that it would pay all your bills as many PHD's are now working at service level jobs too.

4. Posted by j3nn1f3r14 (Budding Member 60 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

if you are a student or will graduate in summer 2009 then you can apply through Bunac for working holiday visa - a J1 visa!... i done that 2 years ago! lets you work anywhere in the states for up to 4 months and then you travel at the end!

Post 5 was removed by a moderator