Skip Navigation

U.S.A help appreciated

Travel Forums North America U.S.A help appreciated

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by carpet8 (Budding Member 18 posts) 8y

This thread is marked as being about USA

Hello to all and a happy new year!

Ill get straight into it i am from England and me and 3 friends are looking to come to America in january 2011 (far away i know but thought id plan early plus we will have graduated from uni by then) we are looking to get a one way flight to Boston then we plan to go to new york washington, chicago, Denver, las vegas, Seattle, san francisco, Los angeles, arizona(tucson), texas, new orleans then back to Boston and fly back home to England. We would like to go to as many of the listed places as possible, are plan is to stay a couple of months in each place trying to get some bar work and cheap accomodation.

My queries are is this dream viable or not with visa complications etc. does anybody know anything about j1 working holiday visas? also any opinions and advice on our trip idea are welcome and wanted

Thanks for reading

2. Posted by Wonkerer (Respected Member 592 posts) 8y

Well, I think that a 90 day stay is about all you'll be allowed. Unless you have a job or further education lined up I don't think you'll be able to get any kind of working visa. You might be able to get one if you went through an organization that works with people just out of undergrad, but if you do that you probably won't be able to see all of the places that you'd like to. In wanting to go so many places, something I might suggest is checking out Trek America. Haven't used them myself, but have heard good things. Outside of a tour though, I would say to narrow your cities down. What you've listed is doable, but it would require a lot of time spent traveling. Good luck!

3. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 8y

Best place to go for advice on visa - the US embassy in the UK.

Sadly, I do not think that there is a working holiday program between the UK and the USA. You might be able to get a J Visa, under the "there are several exchange visitor programs for young people, including summer employment programs, intern programs for university students, and au-pair programs" clause, but I think you need to have pre-arranged employment, and not just show up and find work along the way. There are organizations that arrange these sorts of things - check out BUNAC, there may be others.


4. Posted by carpet8 (Budding Member 18 posts) 8y

Thanks for the replies, and confirming my worries i think the pre arranged option is the best just a shame in confides you to one place.
Is it worth just overstaying the time im allowed in America or do the risks outway the benefits? and what are the best deals/type of accomodation should i realistically be looking out for (whatever option i choose to take)?
Many thanks again for your replies

5. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4942 posts) 8y

Quoting carpet8

Is it worth just overstaying the time im allowed in America or do the risks outway the benefits?

Absolutely don't overstay the time you're allowed to be in the USA - not even by a day. You risk being thrown in jail (not just a hypothetical risk, but something which is actually happening to people), won't be allowed back in the country for many years, etc. It's not worth it! The USA has become one of the least welcoming countries in the world. :(

6. Posted by carpet8 (Budding Member 18 posts) 8y

ok thanks Sander, it is a shame just wanted to experience the place properly you know. Is Canada the same or do you think we would be able to go city to city there?
many thanks

7. Posted by Matt Bos (Budding Member 22 posts) 8y

For the visa issue, try this site:

8. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 8y

Quoting carpet8

Is Canada the same or do you think we would be able to go city to city there?

UK citizens looking to go to Canada who fit certain criteria can get a working holiday visa for Canada. Check out this page for your options.

Given that you are going to be done school and want to move around, BUNAC is probably your best bet. Their Work Canada program is good for anyone under 30, and is valid for 12 months.


9. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4942 posts) 8y

As Greg said, Canada offers working holiday visas, which allow you to stay for a year and find work as you go along. They have a bit more red tape than in Australia/New Zealand, but it should still be quite easy to get one. (Weird that your best bet seems to be going through BUNAC, though; in the Netherlands/Germany you can just apply directly with the Canadian embassy in Berlin. But I guess BUNAC is established to such a degree in the UK that it's just easiest for the Canadian embassy there to let everything go through them.)

My one visit to Canada so far (I'm hoping to do a WHV there next year myself) has also left an impression of immigration being very welcoming, and their rules and regulations are generally much less over-the-top paranoid than those in the USA. (No fingerprints to go in a global database, no mugshot, no need to submit your details 24 hours in advance or any of that crap; just a "Purpose of visit? Welcome to Canada and enjoy your stay!" exchange and you're in.)

[ Edit: Edited on Jan 5, 2009, at 2:42 AM by Sander ]

10. Posted by jeantyc (Budding Member 72 posts) 8y

for information on J1 holiday working visas take a look at