Skip Navigation

Visa Extension - Krabi

Travel Forums Asia Visa Extension - Krabi

1. Posted by allm303 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y

allm303 has indicated that this thread is about Thailand

Our visa expires on 6th February 2009 but we want to stay in Thailand until the 12th February.

Last place we'll be will be Krabi.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get your visa extended in Krabi? Where is the immigration office etc?

Also, does anyone know if we can only extend our visa when our current one has a certain amount of time left on it or can we extend it at any, now

2. Posted by vickon (Budding Member 50 posts) 8y

first of all you should tell us where you are from. If you are from the european union i think that you could extend your visa for 10 days easily

3. Posted by HaadRinGuide (Travel Guru 542 posts) 8y

I extended my visa last year in Krabi and it was straight forward enough. You need a photo (it might be two photos actually) and I think it cost about 1900 Baht, then you just fill in a form and they give you a stamp in your passport.

I just got a motorbike taxi there cos I didn't know how to get to it but it was pretty central cos I walked back into town afterwards and it was only a ten minute or so walk.

I had a double entry 60 visa and got given an extra 30 days (from the day I went to the office). If you just had a 30 day visa to begin with I'mnot sure if this might complicate things, but with the 60 day tourist visa it was straight forward.

It's shut on a weekend, though.

4. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3562 posts) 8y

The Krabi Immigration office is located on Utarakit Rd. This is the main road from the bus station to the pier. Open from 8:30am to 4:30pm. Closed weekends. If you came in on the free 30 day entry permit, you are allowed to extend for 7 additional days for 1,900 baht. You must apply before your 30 days are up. The rules state that you must possess an air ticket out of Thailand that falls within that 7 day extension period.

Once you are in Krabi, I would get over to the Imm. Office and let them know your plan to extend. They should be able to walk you through the procedure. Good luck to you.

5. Posted by HaadRinGuide (Travel Guru 542 posts) 8y

Just to ask another related question, I was planning on doing a visa run in a couple of weeks time (when I'll be in Koh Phi Phi) but I have a dual entry 60 visa so i was just wondering whether the Krabi Immigration office will be able to 'start' the second of my entries, i.e. do I actually have to leave Thailand to start the second entry, or can I just go to an immigration office?

6. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3562 posts) 8y

I am afraid you are going to have to leave Thailand to activate the next 60 days on your double entry visa. I have cut/paste the paragraph that pertains to your situation.

Double Entry -- The 'life/validity' of this visa is 6 months from date of issue and allows a visitor to enter Thailand for one period of up to 60 days after which time they must leave the country. They can then re-enter for a further stay of up to 60 days. On expiry of the second stay they must depart and cannot return without a new visa which can only be obtained outside Thailand. (a single 30-day extension may be applied for, after each 60 days)

7. Posted by HaadRinGuide (Travel Guru 542 posts) 8y

Thanks for your help.

I suspected that I'd actually have to leave and then enter again, but I just thought I'd double check on the off chance.


8. Posted by HaadRinGuide (Travel Guru 542 posts) 8y

Just to double check - it doesn't matter how I leave, does it?

Like, can I just cross the border then come straight back in again? Or do I have to re-enter via air?

9. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3562 posts) 8y

As long as you leave Thailand, road, air does not matter. Same as re-entry, any border crossing will activate the second 60 days of your double entry visa.

10. Posted by HaadRinGuide (Travel Guru 542 posts) 8y

Thanks for your help.