Skip Navigation

Getting sponsored to work longer in New Zealand......

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Getting sponsored to work longer in New Zealand......

1. Posted by Squarabara (Budding Member 58 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hey all!!!

I am currently on a working holiday visa in New Zealand and I've decided that I want to stay a bit longer. Since I am from the states, I can only have my visa for one year and cannot get another one. My only option is to either get married (not happening so far) or to get a job offer from a potential employer. I was just curious if anyone on here has done this before and if the process was simple or a pain in the ass. Or perhaps somewhere in between. How long were you able to stay and all that good stuff??? Any information/stories/ideas/input will all be greatly appreciated. Thanks, guys!!!


2. Posted by sammiller4 (Budding Member 5 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

You can always overstay your visa and just leave when you feel like it, but at the airport you are going to get some major hassles from immigration and you'll be refused entry for 3-5 years. You decide if its worth it...

3. Posted by bex76 (Moderator 3860 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I had a job offer from an employer and applied for a work permit just before my working holiday visa ran out so I could stay a bit longer. It was quite pricey as I had to have a medical ($330) just for a 3 month permit but as far as the paperwork went it wasn't too bad. your employer or potential employer are supposed to prove they have looked for New Zealanders to fill the role and have been able to find anyone suitbale but they can do this side of the application for you.

there are several people in my office who have arrived on tourist visas, applied for jobs and then applied for a work permit when they have the job offer. They don't seem to have had too much hassle. It's common out here as there is a general skills shortage so if you have a job offer you shouldn't have too many problems - especially seeing as you already have a valid working visa.

4. Posted by Dodger (Inactive 873 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

The Immigration people in NZ are really helpful, at least they were too me. I went in just to ask about staying and they guy outright told me to come in on a visitor visa and then get sponsored for work. Id go check out your local immigration office and ask them.