Skip Navigation

Driving in Aus with Uk licence

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Driving in Aus with Uk licence

1. Posted by WelshEmma (Budding Member 33 posts) 8y

I have arrived in Aus on working holiday visa and hold a UK licience but is that ok to drive with over here or do i need to change it or something??

2. Posted by assess2007 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y

Hi Welshemma,

You can use your UK licence for 3 months legally in Oz to drive. If you're over there longer and wish to drive, you really need an international licence. However, I wouldn't sweat about it as nobody ever checks.

If you are over there longer than 3 months and someone asks you about it, you can say you just arrived recently and by hopping in and out of the country, you can cover your back.

One other option is to pop into one of the Governement Transport offices which can be found in most shopping malls in most towns.

Have fun.

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4896 posts) 8y

Quoting assess2007

You can use your UK licence for 3 months legally in Oz to drive. If you're over there longer and wish to drive, you really need an international licence.

This is only true if you're in Australia on a permanent visa. As a traveller who does not intend to settle long-term in Australia, that three month limit does not apply, and you can use your overseas license effectively "indefinitely".

See for example the vicroads page on this (all states of slightly different rules, but they pretty much agree on this point as far as I've been able to find):

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current, valid licence) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit.

(emphasis mine)

[ Edit: Edited on 24-Jan-2009, at 09:04 by Sander ]

4. Posted by ashleeeeee (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y

hey, i hope im doing this right iv just opened an account on here just for some advice about traveling in oz...
i was just curious wether or not i need to be passed on my uk licence for any lenght of time before i can drive when im on my holiday visa? i dont think i will have been passed more then a year when i come over. any ideas? thanks ash.

5. Posted by WelshEmma (Budding Member 33 posts) 7y

Thanks for replies, I didn't have a problem hiring a car, they just accepted my little pink driving licience card and let e go!

Ash, not sure, I don't think they is a time limit but there may be, or an age limit, my friend is 20 and had trouble finding somewhere to hire a car, she's German so may be different again, try looking at some car hire websites? Sorry can't be more help

6. Posted by rhysv (Inactive 22 posts) 7y

Just get an international driving permit to be on the safe side, They cost next to nothing and its just a little bit of extra assurance.

7. Posted by jasonh2015 (Full Member 156 posts) 7y

Hi everyone, you dont need an international licence for an English speaking countries. The most that would happen if you do something illegal, worst case, get kicked out of the countrie, or have your licence taken off you. But i think you would have to do something really bad for it to happen.

8. Posted by jazzyd (First Time Poster 1 posts) 6y

Hi I am over in the UK holding a Probationary licence from Aus so I can drive solo etc just with more restrictions like a zero BAC level at all times etc when driving in AUS but I am wondering whether I can exchange this for a UK licence as easily as you could with a full Australian licence?
I need to know ASAP