Hi Travellerspoint people! Chlo here.
Lots of questions from a 21yr old graduate going on her first trip with her boyfriend!
On the 11th of march I'm travelling from Brissy to Cairns on a greyhound 45day hop on hop off pass.
1. Has anyone had any experience with this before, and if so is it any good? I dont quite understand, WHERE ill be getting dropped on/off at the points and what times the buses actually come along- only confusing point of the deal really!!
2. Is it important to book ALL hostels in advance or is it easy to turn up at all on the day and book?
3. one last thing if i have a packpack are there any lockers at hostels or do you have to carry everything about. surely not!!
anyone making/made this trip before and if so any highlights?
1. Can't help with drop off points, But bus times will all be on there website or you'll be able to phone to find out.
2. Most hostels you come probably just turn up and get a room. But obviously the better ones will get booked up first. Personally i'd just try and book them a couple of days in advance to be safe.
3. Most hostels have small lockers to put your valuables in.
Hope that helps
We used the bus last summer and found it really easy. When you first go to the Greyhound office to activate the pass they will give you a timetable listing all the stops and times. We found that everywhere we wanted to stop was on the route, I think you will find a map of it on the Greyhound website. 4x4ing on Fraser Island was the main highlight, also enjoyed sailing on the Whitsundays. I'd also leave enough time to go up to Cape Tribulation once you reach Cairns. Hope you have fun!
[ Edit: Edited on 26-Jan-2009, at 05:30 by CazWalker ]
I'll second that the bus is really easy to use - and there are more potential stops than you can shake a stick at. The bus stops are mostly convenient, with the notable exception of Hervey Bay - but all the hostels run shuttles from there.