Skip Navigation

Where is cheapest to buy working holiday visas?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Where is cheapest to buy working holiday visas?

1. Posted by LoreleiLee (Budding Member 70 posts) 8y

I need to buy a working holiday visa for Australia but I have noticed they can range from £120 to £155! Has anyone found a cheaper place to buy them from?

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4938 posts) 8y

The cheapest (and recommended) way is to apply yourself at the official Australian immigration website. Their current rate is $195, which their currency converter lists as £90. (XE lists it as £88.)

Any third party company would need to charge you exactly the official fee as listed on that website, plus more to cover their own costs and profit-margin.

[ Edit: Edited on 29-Jan-2009, at 12:48 by Sander ]

3. Posted by pazz5 (Budding Member 60 posts) 8y

Definitely apply direct (

I applied last night and was instantly accepted. No agent fees, one off cost of just under £90.

It literally takes 15 mins, all you need is your passport to hand. Simple!

4. Posted by divaboy (Full Member 75 posts) 8y

Can only agree with the post above just via official route easy as you like

5. Posted by LoreleiLee (Budding Member 70 posts) 8y

Thanks everyone!:)

Im just in the middle of applying now and im a little confused
Im going to australia for 3months and 3 weeks so i will have to apply for the working visa for a year because the other option i had was 3months is this right?
Also in the personal details bit it asks for your occupation, and then also what industry you intend to seek employment. Im a teacher but i plan to do whatever job i can find!? what industry should I say?

6. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4938 posts) 8y

If you're not intending to work, and only want the WHV to be in the coutry for those three months and three weeks, you should be able to just go on a tourist visa and get an extension while in the country. (Or maybe you can even apply for a six month tourist visa beforehand? I forget the details... Either way, it's eminently possible to stay for more than three months on a non-WHV visa. (Or even if they'd deny that, you could hop over to New Zealand for a couple of days during the middle of that time period, and make it work like that; the ETA was multiple entry for three months each time, and I'm pretty certain the same holds for the new eVisitor.)) It's a bit of a shame to use the "once in a lifetime" WHV if you're not really going to make use of it.

Anyway, I don't think the answer to "what industry" really matters. You could just put "office work" or "fruit picking" or "bar work" or whatever there, and they'd accept it all without any problems.

7. Posted by LoreleiLee (Budding Member 70 posts) 8y

I do intend to work, my stay in Australia is part of my round the world trip so I probably will have to work to partly fund it:(

8. Posted by rob5052 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y

Cheapest place has got to be the AU offical site. If you want to work you need that visa. I am going for a year in June but am planning on subsidising the trip by working when i get the chance.