Skip Navigation

Tax back on a Working Holiday Visa? PLEASE HELP!!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Tax back on a Working Holiday Visa? PLEASE HELP!!

1. Posted by jonnywoods (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y

This thread is marked as being about Australia

Hi all, just some advice needed on getting tax back please. I am a backpacker from the UK, and have done 3 months work in Australia, whilst here for 6 months on a Working Holiday Visa. I have been paying tax on all my earnings, can I now claim it back? Do I get it ALL back?? If so, does anyone have any experience with using tax redemption companies such as, and are they worth using? Or is it best to try to claim it back yourself to save incurring any charges??

This is a bit of a worry for me at the moment, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Posted by mista2kool (Budding Member 40 posts) 8y

I did mine by myself. Downloaded the program from the tax office website.
I forget if its any different if you are leaving before the end of the financial year.
Also, make sure you say you are a resident for tax purposes. It allowed me to get 3600$ back instead of like 300$.

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4933 posts) 8y

With such a short stay in Australia, there is almost no way Johhny would qualify for being a resident for tax purposes. Advising him to enter that point-blank is really not helpful. (Johhny: read up on that page yourself, see if you can honestly say that you pass any of the residency tests. The "resides" test is probably your best bet. Ryan is right that it makes a lot of difference: 0% tax over the first 6k and only 15% above up to 30k, versus 29% all the way up to that same 30k.)

4. Posted by jonnywoods (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y

I have spoken to a lady at, and she says we will be fine and will be considered "residents for tax purposes" and will get ALL of our tax back. I really hope she is right!!

Post 5 was removed by a moderator