Skip Navigation

Driving on a UK license in Australia?!??!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Driving on a UK license in Australia?!??!

1. Posted by Chrisy333 (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y

Hi, I am going to Australia next year on a work/travel visa, I will be 19 at time of travel and my friend will be 18. Are we elligable to drive in Australia on our UK licenses? We are aware that we are probaably not able to rent a car until the age of 21, but will we be able to purchase a car abroad and get insured on it also? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. :)

2. Posted by caiti (Budding Member 23 posts) 8y

yes you can drive on your uk lisence not sure about renting, i was worrying about the same thing luckily some aussies come into my work so i asked them about it.

3. Posted by fussy (Inactive 208 posts) 8y

You are limited to 3 months driving on a foreign licence, however you need to check this per state as licences are state issued and there are different rules. As for insurance you could jump online and get some quotes to see if you can get insurance.

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4942 posts) 8y

Quoting fussy

You are limited to 3 months driving on a foreign licence

This is only true if you're on a permanent visa. If you're on a temporary visa such as a working holiday visa (even if it's for two years ), you can use your overseas drivers license "indefinitely".

Here's the quote on that for victoria, but last I looked, all the other states agree on this.

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current, valid licence) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit.

5. Posted by Chrisy333 (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y

Thanks very much for the help, it is appreciated

6. Posted by mikniks (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y


As far as I'm aware, time limitations using a UK license only generally apply from the day you enter that state, not the country. I doubt very much you will have a problem unless you stay out rhere indefinately.

I went out there when I was 20, and hired a camper from Wicked. At that time, for an extra $100 or so, they covered young drivers under 21. I think AutoTraveller campers offer the same thing, only slighty cheaper than Wicked and perhaps a little less...loud? However, I have used Wicked and they are a great company. Really chilled but know they trade. Insurance in tricky in Oz as it is done per car/camper, not per driver as in the UK.

Hope this helps !


7. Posted by wickedgirl (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y

Hey guys, yes if you rent a vehicle with Wicked Campers you don't need an international license, only a license from your home country!

We also rent to people under the age of 21...but they must be good looking. Just kidding

Please let me know if you have any other roadtrip enquiries... hope you enjoy your travels around our great land!


[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]

Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7