I'm starting to panick.
I have so many questions I don't know where to start.
I've found all the answers for US motorcyclists but NONE for UK motorcyclists.
If you can help, please, please respond. Thank you. x x x
In a few years I plan to do a huge motorcycling trip through Latin America. I'll take a plane from the UK to El Paso and cross over the Mexican border to begin my journey. I don't want to stay in the US for more than a couple of days. El Paso is going to be quick break to catch my breath before the real adventure begins. Here are my questions:
1) Should I buy a bike in the UK and transport it over? Ive found a few companies who do this. It will cost about £1,500. - 2 problems (other than expense). First I have to get the bike to a pick up port. Although not too much of an issue UK side - though it may take a day or 2 of organisation I have no clue how I would then get the bike to El Paso. I really do not want to drive long distance through the US.
2) There is a motorbike dealership right next to the airport in El Paso, with a hotel practically in the car park. Awesome, I'll just make a few calls, order the bike I want, pick up and pay cash when I get there.
3) Would there be any additional charges for taking the bike into Mexico or other countries in latin america depending on where the bike was bought? i.e. would I have to decalre it at customs?
4) HOW is a UK motorcyclist supposed to get insurance for travel outside the EU?? It seems there is nothing in place to allow this to happen like there is for US riders. If anyone from the UK has been able to get international motorbike insurance what sort of cost would you be looking at for a year of motorcycling abroad? Also with point 2 how much more difficult would this be?
5) I will of course apply for an international driving permit before leaving the UK.
Has anyone else experienced other problems that I haven't yet thought of? I'm starting to think this is going to be impossible.