Skip Navigation

People who wish to work and travel

Travel Forums Europe People who wish to work and travel

1. Posted by clearStat (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I'm interested in working whilst traveling, but every time I look on the net I seem to only find loads of information about overseas working holidays for students. What I would like to find is some decent, useful information about working and traveling for someone like myself who isn't currently studying.
I've researched a little on getting a Canadian working visa, but what about programs that allow you to work while traveling in Europe?

Would anybody be able to give me some information? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Working Holiday Visa are not just for students, they are for young people in general. You need to be a citizen of participating country (like Australia), over 18 and under a certain age.

If you have Australian citizenship your best chance of working in Europe is the Working Holiday Visa. Best thing about them is that you can string them together. I know people who have applied for 3-5 Working Holiday Visa in different countries. Say you first get a WHV for Germany, stay there for a year and then move on to another country like Denmark or France, again stay there for a year, then move to Italy or Ireland. You can of course make trips all over Europe during the time your WHV for Germany, France, Denmark, etc is valid.

3. Posted by aharrold45 (Travel Guru 1281 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I'm pretty sure that for Australian citizens going to the UK the age limit is 31 and like others said you do not have to be a student infact most of the people I have come across doing a working holiday were not students any more when they left. This mainly applies to the UK and other places in Europe, but most other places around the world for Australians are only open to students from what I have seen. I'm pretty sure Canada is one of those that you don't have to be a student to do a working holiday, but the US is one you do need to be a student unless you have some in need qualification and even then you can't treat it as a working holiday.

Not sure if you have checked out, but I found it when doing "UK working holiday visa" in google. That has information you could check out for the UK where a large amount of Australians are doing the working holiday.

[ Edit: Edited on 21-Feb-2009, at 16:38 by aharrold45 ]

4. Posted by clearStat (Budding Member 2 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

thanks so much for your help.
I'll be sure to check out those links. ta :)

5. Posted by hody (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Hi There! I am from Sabah Malaysia, I felt bored to my work and also my surrounding environment in here and my mind just keep remind me to go for travel and work in oversea to get some fresh air for myself and also try to learn a new environment. So i am been looking for the application to get in UK as a working holidays visa but is that very difficult to get this Visa? Will i be too late to apply it since i am already 26 years old, maybe less percentage to get it? Which is the link that i should refer too for the application because all of the link that i found out is a bit messy and complicated for me...

Please help and thanks hopefully somebody will reply..


6. Posted by sunset1999 (Full Member 108 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Hi Hody,

The UK Working Holiday Scheme is closed for Malaysians. You can only apply for the Youth Mobility scheme which it is now called if you are from Australia, Japan, Canada and New Zealand.

This is from the UK home office website:

Post 7 was removed by a moderator