I've lost about 20 items, including cleaning ladies losing my quick drying towel in Fiji, they assumed it was one of there bed sheets.
I have been given sleeping bag, Adidas trousers, zip up top, food, few other things. Total of about 20 items.
Have swapped numerous books the popular ones; Everyone was reading Da Vanci COde, Down Under,Life of Pi and Short history of Nearly everything. (In one instance 14 out of 17 people on a backpacker bus were reading Da Vanci Code!)
[ Edit: Edited on 17-Feb-2009, at 09:06 by boulderman ]
Well, I've traded loads of books, and used to trade film for books in the days before the digital revolution. I've lost a couple of favorite shirts (not the only one I was wearing). I've lost sunglasses. That one really pissed me off. I've accidentally left my purse on the beach (i don't remember doing this)...which was accidentally stolen along with my passport and everything else in it. (I still wish I could have seen the pictures from that disposable camera; it was one hell of a party.) I've been given books, a plastic mug to brush my teeth in, money, film, food, sympathy, airline blankets, toiletries, and even a couple of shirts!
I lost my purse in Cairo, dropped it when getting out of a taxi. Could not believe it when the next day a young lad returned it to my hotel, complete with all cash and he refused to take a reward!
I have lost various caps and sunglasses, traded an assortment of items right down to toothpaste and swapped umpteen books, the best of which I received are The Alchamist and Life of Pi.
haha good thread, I find that when ever I lose something, something good always comes from it. like I find something better or I meet a cute girl.
• On the great barrier reef Me and this cute german girl got splashed by this wave as soon as the boat started off. so I left the shirt on a chair to dry and someone stole it. It was my favorite shirt but because me and this girl were the only ones dripping wet we started talking and I got the girl's number.
• I broke my favorite Camera lens getting out of a taxi in Venice Beach. I was only in venice beach because I missed my first flight to australia. turns out I met a nice redhead on the next plane ride.
• I bent a $250 pair of sunglasses bumping my head on a van. a few weeks later I had a shoe repairman fix them perfectly...that same day I sat on them and broke them completely. that day I started a conversation with a girl about it and hooked up with her later on that night.
• On magnetic island. me and this girl shared this pathetic non-waterproof 1-person tent with most of our stuff crammed inside with us. One night I left one of my bags outside in the rain. All of my stuff got soaked and my Edgar Allen Poe book got ruined. turns out you actually have to close the bags for them to work. I never heard the end of that one! I still blame that possum!
The next day we were asking around for a tarp to throw over our tent. and these guys gave us this giant 6-person house-tent completel with air mattresses and blankets...all for free!
• I've also found heaps of t-shirts and bathroom supplies when I was doing housekeeping in Wellington so out of all the clothes I lost and had taken from me I ended up with more in the end. I remember one day I found this argyle sweater. I wore it all the time for a few weeks, one day my friend adrian comes up to me and says, "HEY! That's my shirt! My brother gave it to me before I left!" Then he told me it was his gift to me and that I could keep it!
• I did however have 8 T-shirts stolen from me in the bay of islands...I'm still waiting for the universe to balance that one out....
[ Edit: Edited on 22-Feb-2009, at 13:28 by Cool Paul ]
Thanks for the nod, and thanks for sharing your stud status. The Argyll bit was better.
No "conquests" have come from losing things, unless you includ e your head.
I like German and Swedish and Danish girls (the guys form there seem to help hook you up with them ha!)
Currently been dating a German girl for 6 months.
My mum said I would marry a foreigner.
Apart from nostalgia I find foreign girls have more interesting interests and less shallow.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to brag...although I suppose maybe it came off that way. I only brought it up because it seems that I meet girls almost immediately after I lost something or break something or if something bad happens. It's really weird.
5 years ago, I had to walk to work one day because my car wouldn't start. On the way to work this girl recognized me on the side of the road as an old friend of her sister and gave me a ride to work. We exchanged numbers and I ended up dating her for 3 years!
Well, I lost a baseball cap and an used diaper in Bratislava.
The diaper had been mine since I had been born, it still had my name tag on it from day-care days. It wasn't that I was particularly attached to it, but these cotton diapers are hard to find today. I used it together with the baseball cap as a sun protector because the molton fabric is really light, breathable, absorbent and just great on cycling tours. I still have 3 others, but now I am afraid to take them for fear I'll loose them too. The way I lost them was really stupid too - I needed to catch the train back to Germany at 8 am and overslept. I was in a hurry, I managed to stuff everything into my bags, but left the hat and the diaper hanging from the bed post since I wanted to put them when I left. It wasn't until I was on the train that I missed them.
Main reason I remember this is imagining the face of the person finding the diaper!
You sounds like Linus! I had my blanket for 7 years. Still have nappy cloths since baby.
I almost lost control of my bladder when I bungy jumped the nevis.