Hi there. I was looking over the form to apply for an IRD Number and it says:
You must provide one original document from Category A and one original document from Category B with your application as well as a photocopy of each of your documents.
All photocopies must be legible.
Category A documents
• Full New Zealand birth certificate issued on or after 1 January 1998
• New Zealand passport*
• Overseas passport * (with New Zealand Immigration visa/permit, or call Inland Revenue on 0800 227 774 for exempt list)
• New Zealand emergency travel document
• New Zealand firearm or dealer’s licence
• New Zealand refugee travel document
• New Zealand certificate of identity (issued by Department of Labour or Department of Internal Affairs)
• New Zealand citizenship certificate
- If you are providing a passport please photocopy the page/s showing your photo, name, any pages showing current work, visitor permits or residency documents, and a specimen signature.
Category B documents
• New Zealand driver licence
• New Zealand 18+ card
• New Zealand student photo identification card
• A letter confirming registration as a student in New Zealand**
• An “offer of employment” letter from your employer, on their company letterhead**
• International Drivers’ Permit (issued by a member country of the UN Convention on Road Traffic)
• Overseas Drivers’ Licence (accompanied by an English translation completed by an LTNZ authorised translator, if not already in English)
- * If this document is used you must provide a document from category A that contains a photo.
I have an overseas passport, so I've got something from Category A. But I don't have anything from Category B. I just have a learner's permit from New York State, not a driver's licence from there. Would I be able to use that or how else can I get a document from Category B? I wouldn't be a student and I won't have an offer of employment because I'm coming over on a working holiday.
I went to the office in takapuna, auckland
I showed my passport and work permit, filled out a application and I also had to show my eftpos (debit) card and a piece of paper from a bank in NZ that showed I had a bank account there.
When you get there. Auckland I'm assuming. go to a bank, and ask about opening a checking account. ASB is pretty good, ANZ is another. they're all over the place. make sure you get some papers with your account info. Then look up the address for the IRD office in Takapuna, Auckland. It's like a 25 minute bus ride from the skytower. not sure which bus exactly. there are a few that go out that way the 895, 839, 837 I think... anyway you want to go out towards the takapuna transport center that drops you off right around the corner from the office just ask the bus drivers They'll let you know when to get off.
I think you can do it all over the phone as well, but...takapuna is worth checking out anyway. nice little section of town with a bunch of shops a nice little beach.
look online for the exact bus at maxx.co.nz
the IRD office is at
5 Byron Avenue, Takapuna Beach,
Auckland 0622, New Zealand
also take your state ID too, just in case, I seem to remember them photocopying mine.
[ Edit: Edited on 23-Feb-2009, at 12:01 by Cool Paul ]
Thanks so much, Paul, for all this. I will be flying into Auckland, but I'm looking to settle in Wellington, so I'll do all that when I first arrive in Auckland so that it's processing when I'm traveling/exploring the North Island, making my way down to Welly.
smart decision. Wellington is the greatest city on earth...ever. The IRD number only takes like a week or so to process. Me and Everybody I know just called up after a week and got the number over the phone.
Oh be prepared for this, they are going to want an address. Because they need an address to send the card to. I went through Bunac so I just used their office address. If you can't do that you might want to wait until you get to welly to do all the IRD stuff and just start applying for jobs as it processes. Or call one of the bigger hostels in welly and book a room and see if you can use their address. That way you just give it to the IRD office in auckland so the card will be there when you get there.
The IRD office in welly can't be more than a 15 minute walk where ever you stay...it's such a compact little city.
that post was so nice it posted twice
[ Edit: Edited on 26-Feb-2009, at 20:42 by Cool Paul ]
Quoting Cool Paul
that post was so nice it posted twice
Anyway, thanks again. Wellington definitely seemed like the right city for me, especially because of it being the center for the NZ film industry. (I'm a film minor in uni at the moment. Graduating in May.) I now have my visa application approved, by the way. (24 to 28 hours of processing time!) I have seen a few places on the web that offer some sort of mail service. Like Private Box or BBNZ Mail Service.
I wonder if it would be worth setting one of those up at least for a little while.
Oh, and I was planning on staying in YHA hostels as I made my way around the North Island. Sort of doing their Scenic North tour, but not because I'd get a FlexiPass. Would you consider them one of the bigger hostels? I'll have to check with them to see if I could use their address, but I don't know right now how long I'll explore the North Island before getting to Welly. And I might not have to if I use one of those mail services.
[ Edit: Edited on 26-Feb-2009, at 21:22 by KarmaKarma ]