Skip Navigation

1. Posted by caiti (Budding Member 23 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

my friend cannot get a visa for australia, he went for a year on a working holiday visa and came back without doing his 3 months seasonal work, but he wants to go back, he did an online assessment thingy that said he probably wouldnt get another whv.
is there any way around this?

2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5088 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

If he didn't do the three months of seasonal work, then no, there's no way for him to get a second WHV.
Alternatives would be to get a WHV for New Zealand (similar procedure, similar culture (much nicer scenery!)) and possibly to hop over to Australia for a couple of months while on that, or maybe trying to get sponsored for a regular work visa for Australia (might be hard; depends mostly on skills and qualifications).

3. Posted by caiti (Budding Member 23 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

he was hoping to move to oz in the end, he has friends over there, im also going to new zealand aswell as oz and did think he could do something like that. bit gutting for him really i told him to just marry an aussie lol
thanks for the advice though ill let him know.

4. Posted by D Casey (Budding Member 4 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!


Good news - there is a way around this. Your friend could apply for the sponsorship visa or the skilled migrant visa.
The sponsorship visa will allow him to stay for up to 4 years with a certain employer. In order to apply for the sponsorship visa he needs an eligible job offer from an Australian employer. It depends on your occupation.
The skilled migrant visa is a life time visa which allows him to stay in Australia for life and to work to whoever he wants. The most important thing for the skilled visa is whether his occupation in on the skilled occupation list for Australia. This is a points based visa.