I am from Spain, and I am planning to do a trip from Los Angeles to Tierra de Fuego (argentina), by car.
The idea is to buy a used car in USA and sell it once we finish the trip , in Argentina, Chile, or Uruguay. Before flying back to Europe.
I would like to know if somebody has done more or less the same trip.
I have two big concerns:
1) How difficult will be to buy a car in USA, being a tourist.
2) How difficult will be to sell the car once in southamerica.
I would appreciate any kind of feedbacks.....
Thanks a lot!!
You should add these other concerns.
3. How you will get the car from Panama to Colombia since you cant drive through the darien gap (hence a cargo ship).
4. How will I not get my car stolen or car jacked in South America. If one sees a license plate with California in Brasil, or Chile, this could easily happen.. You can drive here, you have money, if u know what I mean ( the thinking of a bad guy).
5. Insurance for every country.
Other than this, enjoy your trip
[ Edit: Edited on 26-Mar-2009, at 11:05 by way2goeh ]
There are quite a few travellers out here doing the same as you.
You may find helpful
www.dare2go.com [Australians who bought a car in the USA and are now in Argentina. Actually they are several on the road and now READY TO SELL THE CAR!] Very informative website.
French family. Same story. Bought the car in the US, now selling in Argentina.
[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]
Thanks friends for your replies and the useful websites.
Regarding, the gap between Panama and South America, we will ship the car to Guayaquil (Ecuador) or to Colombia. And the concerning about how we will manage to not be stolen, well, you never know.. everything can happen in this life, but if you are afraid and you think bad things will happen to you, you should stay at home and take any risk... Is not our case.
Furthermore, is not our first "visit" to southamerica, we have travel a lot by road in many countries there, so we know what to expect...
Thanks again , and please if somebody have done or is planning to do same trip, please tell me!! As I said, my bigger concerns are buying and selling the car...
I am planing a similar trip late July driving from L.A to Brazil.
Don´t worry about getting your car stolen, like any where depends where you go and where you stay, very important that the papers from the car are in your name, in Panama the best option is to ship your car in a container to Cartagena Colombia cost around 3,500 American dollars.
Any questions please ask.