Skip Navigation

USA and International Drivers Licence

Travel Forums North America USA and International Drivers Licence

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by Hashbrown (Budding Member 20 posts) 12y

G'day all,

Just curious is anyone knows if I can drive on my West Aust drivers licence in the USA or if I need to arrange to get an International Drivers Licence.

I mainly plan on using the occassional rental care to see the sites.

Thanks in advance


2. Posted by applegirl (Full Member 144 posts) 12y

you should def be ok, i've travelled across the u.s. with a swedish (eu standard) drivers licence. i got caught for speeding in new mexico and had to decipher my licence for the sheriff since everything is written in swedish, he was alright about it and just gave me a written warning in the end. much better than a ticket ;)

3. Posted by moutallica (Respected Member 122 posts) 12y

I know that my australian room mate tried to rent a car here and he wasnt allowed until he got his international license. I wouldnt take the chance and just get one, they're pretty cheap

4. Posted by rogerb (Full Member 50 posts) 12y

Hi Courtney,

These are the general rules....

Visitors to USA may drive using their national licence, provided it is in a language which uses the Roman alphabet.

Holders of other licences generally must also show an International Driving Permit in English (available through motoring organisations such as AA, AAA, RAC etc)

Minimum driving age is 21 years. Drivers 21 through 24 years must pay an Underage Driver Fee of $20 (plus local taxes) per day, per driver.

Hope this helps, Roger

5. Posted by bethy (Full Member 49 posts) 12y

Hi ya
it only cost me $20 in Perth to get a international drivers lic. and it's valid for a year. Employers like you to have one. If that matters to you.
I'm here in Vancouver now.

6. Posted by wotthefiqh (Inactive 1447 posts) 12y

Have you thought of driving someone's car from A to B for virtually nothing in the US?
Check out
I'd say you would need an International Driver's Licence.
I'm getting one to drive Miami down through the Keys in May next year, and will probably drive in Pennsylvania to get to Gettysburg from Washington later that month.


7. Posted by UK (Budding Member 33 posts) 12y


I've been hiring cars in the USA since 1990 with only my UK driving licence and passport (the americans like Photo ID) I've never been asked for an international drivers licence.


8. Posted by rogerb (Full Member 50 posts) 12y


Go here and be rest assured that your Australian licence is will be quite sufficient and will be accepted everywhere in the USA........

9. Posted by Hashbrown (Budding Member 20 posts) 12y

Many thanks everyone for your comments.

Had considered autodriveaway but not sure that its going to give me enough flexibility as I only have 9 weeks, though it might be an option if the money starts to get a bit tight.

My plans are to fly most of the places I want to get to, and use a rental to see the sites that I cant fly to. Its the joy of an unplanned holiday, who knows what I will be doing or going.

Thanks again everyone


10. Posted by rogerb (Full Member 50 posts) 12y

Whatever you get up to, Courtney....

Enjoy your trip and have fun ! ;)