Have checked out several tour operators online and found them all to be around the same price for the particular route I wish to use (machame). I am travelling alone and would like some advice regarding pre booking or waiting until I get to Moshi in early October 2009. My gut tells me to just wait...
PS any other females traveling North from the falls through Zambia and Tanzania around the end of September early October?
with things like this generally i have been told it is better to book before hand because once you're out there they have you stuck and they know you have to pay their prices to do it. this being said, it may be possible to leach onto a group already heading up if you wait there which means you would get it fairly cheap, but it is a matter of finding these group and if you would be able to join them last minute.
I know just two people that have done the climb on seperate occasions. One booked well in advance and the other just did it on arrival. The guy that booked in advance had a terrible time. His transfer wasn't at the airport - he had to call the travel agent back in London, then the hotel he had booked was a total hole. Oh - and it cost him £100's more. The other friend just got to Dar es Salaam and did it all in stages, including seeing his rooms before he parted with a penny. Just stories I've heard - never been there myself. Thought it might be of some help to pass it on.
thanks for the tips, still undecided but armed with more information.