Hi, I'm flying out to Shanghai China tonight and have a few basic questions about Shanghai and China, since I've never been there:
1. can we get simcards easily there and are they able to call internationally?
2. do most taxi drivers understand or speak English?
3. what are some MUST SEE tourist spots to hit?
4. how is the nightlife and where is your personal favorite nightlife spots?
5. generally speaking, can most Chinese people speak English?
6. how is prices there generally? for example, for 1 beer in a normal disco/pub?? 1 Mcdonalds value meal price?? etc
More questions to come, and thank you VERY much
1) Yes, you dont' even need any ID to get a sim card. just go to any subway station or some small store they sell them. they usually ask for higher price for some "better" number. (most people like numbers such as 8, and avoid 4). so if you don't care about how lucky your number is.. can get one in the range of 100 - 150 RMB. and they usually have 50RMB inside the card to use. (some new one got less i heard....)
2) No (or should i say.. "NONE!"). so try to get someone (maybe front desk at hotel) to write you the word of the place you want to go.. and make sure u carry a business card of the hotel somewhere. *there is a story about this.. which i will tell after answering!
3) the bund? the Pearl tower? the new SWFC? the Yuan Garden and the surrounding? depends on what u going after...if you stay here for long enough, probably better off to go to some near by city.
4) someone else can answer this... very depends on what kind of nightlife u looking for. and how much u planning to spend. I am a dinner + bar, home before 1am kinda guy only.
5) most don't. maybe 20-30% is my guess.
6) a beer usually cost 30-80 RMB at a disco/pub/club. depends on which one you go to, and what kind of beer u getting. a MickyD combo is about 20-25 RMB (i usually get big-mac combo..but i only had McD 3 times in here)
- here's the story.. some of the taxi company has rating system on the cab driver. go from 1 star to 5 stars. and one of the more talkative taxi driver i met was complaining... said "for 5 stars drivers they can speak english.. but how many people who can speak english will decide to drive a cab here in shanghai"... so i just give a smile back...
[ Edit: Edited on 27-Apr-2009, at 22:58 by kirk1978 ]
Hey Kirk thanks a lot for the info man, I'll be logging back in here in a few days after a couple days of experiencing Shanghai, departing to the airport in 1 hour to fly there
Spend a few hours walking around the French Concession - it's a really interesting part of town.