Skip Navigation

working/travelling visa for germany - and its' lack of info

Travel Forums Europe working/travelling visa for germany - and its' lack of info

1. Posted by Buttfish (Respected Member 298 posts) 7y


Ok, so I'm in Munich at the moment, and I'm thinking of applying for a Working Holidaymaker / Youth Mobility visa in Germany. Problem is, they don't have a lot of information out about this stuff. Which is why I'm not sure about the name of the visa, either..evidently. I think it's the Youth Mobility. I'm aware I may have to apply from out of the country, that's not a problem. I found some info on it, but it was only for Australian and New Zealand people - and I'm Canadian.

Has anyone applied for this visa for Germany? If so, how, where, any website ideas? Because I'm googling in circles and going from consulate to consulate trying to find info on how to do it. I know I'll probably have to apply from out of Germany, so I'm trying to find info on a country in the vicinity at the moment. But I can find so little info on it, that I'm not even sure if that will work.

Any info, I will love you forever.



2. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y

Look here.

The last sentence is particularly relevant to your question, as is the link provided there:

"They have to apply for their visa before they enter Germany at the competent German mission."

In other words, turn to the German mission in Ottawa. More information can also be found here, where you can also find all the necessary documents, forms and brochures.

[ Edit: Edited on 08-May-2009, at 15:19 by bentivogli ]

3. Posted by Redpaddy (Inactive 1004 posts) 7y

As Post #2# bentivogli says.... Turn to your own country for advice. Whenever you've questions about your trip to another country, get an appointment to visit - or speak to, the Embassy of the country you're planning to travel to.
It's a bit long winded, but they'll have the best (and official) answers.

[ Edit: Edited on 09-May-2009, at 12:30 by Redpaddy ]

4. Posted by steff (Travel Guru 1160 posts) 7y

Quoting Latarina


Ok, so I'm in Munich at the moment

Hi Kat,

given that you're in Munich, maybe try calling or visiting the Canadian Consulate in the city to get some information, before you have to head all the way home to Canada.


5. Posted by Buttfish (Respected Member 298 posts) 7y


Yeah, seeing as I'm here already I guess I'll try contacting a consulate as best I can. Thanks a lot, guys :)


6. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 7y


you cannot get the Working Holiday Visa (Youth Molibility Visa) in Germany. To get it you have to go back to Canada and apply at the German embassy in Canada.

But as Canadian citizen you are privileged in Germany. Citizens from most other countries need to apply in advance if they want to get a residency permit. Canadians (and US citizens and some others) can apply for a residency and work permit after their arrival in Germany.

This helps you because the Working Holiday Visa for Germany that you get at the German embassy in Canada is nothing but a bog-standard residency permit with a blanko work permit.

If you got a job offer already go to the Ausländerbehörde in Munich and apply for a residency permit and a work permit. Your chances of getting the work permit are not very good, but since you are already in Munich it cannot hurt to try. It will be easier and cheaper than returning to Canada and applying there.

Feel free to ask me if you got more questions.

7. Posted by ElleguaX (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y

I am a Canadian living in London on a UK ancestry visa. I know this visa does not allow me to work in Europe, however I want to move to Germany. I have a boy friend there who I can live with. THe question is-- what about a job? Now, I know about the Youth Mobility, but it seems that would mean I would have to retutn to CAnada just to even apply for the visa, which is expensive and inconvienient. However, I am an English teacher and I think that means I have a 'special skill'. What are my chances of getting a work/residence visa once I am settled in Germany ( Mainz) if I get a job teaching English? Does it have to be a full time job?

Does anyone know these things?

8. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y

please read the stickied thread on top of this forum