Skip Navigation

Electricians in Oz

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Electricians in Oz

1. Posted by Fillypup (Budding Member 3 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi, im an electrician goin to Oz on a working visa and i was wondering if anyone could tell me if i would be classed as an electrician when im over there (im from the UK) some people have said there are different rules and regulations and i would need to do some training to be classed as qualified over there, any help on this would be greatly appreciated. There are many questions i have but i will leave it just to this one for now :)


2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I believe you would probably need to go through further training and also get licenced. It might be a bit lengthy and/or costly, Australia likes their red tape!

3. Posted by kevandshan (Full Member 142 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!


Have to apply for license. You will get RPL if you have formal trade training, but you need to apply for "electrical workers license", or "electrical mechanics license".

Depends on where you go, but check out of or do a search on electrical licensing in will find the answers there.

4. Posted by cheap az (Budding Member 91 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

good spot for sparky work is darwin building alot of accom up there:)