Skip Navigation

Supply teaching in England!!

Travel Forums Europe Supply teaching in England!!

1. Posted by julieoz (Full Member 95 posts) 12y

This thread is marked as being about England

Hello, I arrive in England in January and i am wondering which agencies are the best for getting supply teaching work.
I am interested in working in the London area mostly as i have somewhere to stay! I will be located around the Hanwell suburb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!


2. Posted by julieoz (Full Member 95 posts) 12y

no teachers here anyone?

3. Posted by dbgomes (Respected Member 72 posts) 12y

I guess not,

However i have been looking up accounting jobs for when i go over there, and apart from the online resources which are offen pointed out in other threads, i once got a newspaper from a travel agent. It was called Recruitment UK, and had different sections for different industries. im sure that one of them was teaching. There were a number of listings in there of agencies etc that you could register with. If no one else can help you out i can only suggest that you do some research online or try picking up one of the Recruitment papers.

Good luck with it all. nice and cold for you when you arrive!


4. Posted by julieoz (Full Member 95 posts) 12y

thanks for the advice! i will definitely look when i arrive in England!

5. Posted by carlo78 (Budding Member 37 posts) 12y

Hey julie,
i was asking the same question for supply teaching in Australia so maybe we could help one another? A few agencies i have worked for are Select Education, Kelly Education Services, Hays recruitment and Allegis Education to name but a few. Most of these big agencies have websites but you will see other local agencies always advertising in local papers. Try the Times Educational Suppliment, for longer term supply jobs. I am having no luck finding supply agencies in Sydney, only found Select, don't suppose you know any others? Think the system there is a bit different to over her. just registered with Government, is there anything else i should be doing? contact schools directly perhaps?
Good Luck with the jobhunting ;)

6. Posted by carlo78 (Budding Member 37 posts) 12y

supplement, (oh dear and me and english teacher!) proof read kids! lol;)

7. Posted by julieoz (Full Member 95 posts) 12y

hey fin, thanks for the advice. Yeah Australia is a bit different than England for getting relief (supply) teachers.

In South Australia where i am from, you need to be registered with the Teachers Registration Board
and to work in Government schools you also need to be registered with DECS

DECS are the people who give contract and permanant positions. For relief teaching you need to get a certificate from the TRB and then contact schools yourself and get put on their lists. The schools deputy principal usually rings up people on their lists for relief teaching.

I am not sure about how the private system works though.

And also, it is different in every state also!! So if you are planning on going to Sydney to work, i would have a look on the internet for New South Wales government things and see what they say!