Skip Navigation

Chinese Visa...

Travel Forums Asia Chinese Visa...

1. Posted by mintynw7 (Budding Member 36 posts) 7y

Hi, me (English Nationality) and my partner ( Danish Nationality) are both travelling to China in UK for 3 to 6 weeks travelling all around starting in Beijing and ending in Hong Kong.

Can you give us abit more information about Visas and where to apply/get them from? how much? how long they last etc...

Many thanks

2. Posted by Jennyyore (Budding Member 66 posts) 7y

My husband and I went to China in 2004 we went to the chinese embassy in London to put in our visa applications.
You can download the forms from the chinese embassy website.
We found it difficult to asertain what the fee was, it was not clear when we applied but i think it was about £35 each, we put the forms in with passports and collected them a week later.

3. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 7y

In the UK, applications for Chinese visas are now managed by the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre. Both you and your partner need a visa to enter China, although the fees are different because of the different rates for different nationalities.

As for Hong Kong, both of you can enter without a visa:

  • 180 days for British nationals
  • 90 days for Danish nationals
4. Posted by dorali (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y

It is easy to get a travel visa to China. You and your partener will be fine. enjoy!

5. Posted by mintynw7 (Budding Member 36 posts) 7y

How much is the visa is it £35 or is it £74.50? I am confused do you have to include the fee? Can my Danish girlfriend apply for a Visa in Britain before we go away?

6. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 7y

You have to pay both the visa fee and the application service fee.

So the fees (when applying in the UK) are:

  • British passport: £30 (single entry visa) + £34.50 (application service fee)
  • Danish passport: £20 + £34.50

You can also get travel agents to sort it out for you, but as usual, you'll be charged for the service. I just checked the website of a travel agent (located just a stone's throw away from the Chinese embassy) -- they're charging £100 for the above! (everything plus returning of your passport by Royal Mail signed for special delivery)

7. Posted by mintynw7 (Budding Member 36 posts) 7y

Thanks that is great.

One question i am abit confused on - Can my girlfriend who lives in Denmark and has a Danish Passport apply for a Chinese visa while we are in UK the 10 days before we go away to China? Or does she have to do it in Denmark?

8. Posted by Hien (Travel Guru 3906 posts) 7y

Yeah, I believe your partner can apply in London because looking at the schedule of fees, there's a 'third country' category apart from the UK and the US.

Post 9 was removed by a moderator