Skip Navigation

Travelling AUS by campervan and REGO's

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Travelling AUS by campervan and REGO's

1. Posted by MikeAllen (Full Member 129 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi me and my girlfriend are coming to australia september and i have a few questions about travelling.

1. Does anybody know any good second-hand campervan dealers in sydney or around, and if yes do they have a webbie? were planning on buying a camper but as i know little about mechanics would feel alot better with a warrenty or roadside cover dealerships provide. (any advice appreciated)

2. Whats the deal with Australian REGO's.. i cant get my head around them. Do you need to change REGO everytime you enter a new territory? and hope much do they cost.. once you change REGO is it vaild for a year, month or by changing it does it make the old REGO invalid?

3.Any advice about travelling up the east coast would be great, thanks!

2. Posted by lavenlaar (Budding Member 46 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

1. I know of some cheap rentals but buying i cannot help im sorry. Roadside assistance is 99% covered by NRMA in NSW RACV in Vict and RACQ in Queensland (im positive) - just google them.

2. Rego (you've got the vernacular already :) ) no you dont need to change each state if travelling, most vehicles purchased will include minimum 3mths rego from dealers unless private. If out of rego - can become VERY COSTLY especially passing the older cars say pre 1990. Rego is about $400 / yr but will also need CTP GREEN SLIP (compulsory third party) covers other parties should become injured in an accident. This can become quite steep as you are not australian resident usually we pay $300 odd.
Buying privately do a REVS check makes sure there is no money owed or illegal vehicle.

3. If starting in Sydney (why does everyone do that ??) depends on how long you are here and what you want to see! Personally i would head south coast of NSW down to Batemans Bay or Moruya/Eden then cut up the back of NSW to Broken Hill come up through SW QLD (then depend on how far you want to go) then the coast line back to Sydney !


3. Posted by MikeAllen (Full Member 129 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

1. Thanks for the roadside cover info.

2. So if i have a NSW Rego for 3 months, i can travel all over Australia with this.. after 3months i would have to get another one. are REGOS what we call in the uk a MOT?

3. I know sydney first mistake ive made unfortunatly i already have my plane tickets otherwise i would fly to cairnes first and by a cheap van there.

Thanks again.

4. Posted by aharrold45 (Travel Guru 1281 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

I'm not too sure what a MOT is in the UK, but the rego which lavenlaar is referring to is the little sticker that is meant to be placed in the corner of your windscreen to show the authorities that the car is legally allowed to be driven on a public road. If the car doesn't have a valid rego it means the only way you are legally allowed to drive it is on your own private property (like if you own your own farm or something like that).

What you say about if you have the rego for 3 months is correct. Once the registration runs out on your car, then you need to pay up the fees to extend the rego. You do not want to leave it too long after the expiry date of the rego because then the car may need to go over the pits to get assessed for road worthiness (they are very fussy over the slightest thing wrong with the vehicle if that happens).

If you were relocating long term to another state then legally you are meant to get new number plates for the state or territory you are living in. If you didn't it would mean they would send the documentation to renew the rego to the old registered mailing address.

5. Posted by travelyack (Budding Member 23 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Check out for second hand ex rental campervans or they have well serviced vehicles for sale. They may even have rego left on them or ask them to supply you a pink slip with it when you buy it so it is deemed raod worthy and you can register it easily.