Skip Navigation

British Citizen travelling to Canada then to USA by land?

Travel Forums North America British Citizen travelling to Canada then to USA by land?

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by alex9106 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y

Hey everybody,

So im 17, a british citizen, i have a british passport and im going to Canada (Vancouver) for a holiday then i want to travel down to seattle for up to 1 week and then back up to Vancouver. Could anybody tell me what i would need, I have done some research and i think i need a I-94W Form but im not sure if i recieve this at the USA/Canada border or apply for it online and recieve it before i fly out to canada. Im not sure, So please help if you can.

Thanks in advance


[ Edit: Edited on 02-Jul-2009, at 17:34 by alex9106 ]

2. Posted by Calcruzer (Moderator 1998 posts) 7y

I suggest you go to this site, where you can get your questions answered:


3. Posted by Redpaddy (Inactive 1004 posts) 7y

I travel to Canada from GB quite regularly (I have a GB passport also) and cross from Manitoba into North Dakota. No forms needed, just the occasional little bitta paper to fill in at the border offices in both directions - if they can be bothered.... Easy.

4. Posted by alpha_005 (Budding Member 7 posts) 7y

I think the I-94W form is for USA/Canadian citizens who frequently cross the border. From what I have read (I'll be travelling from Vancouver to Seattle myself in September) all you will need is your passport. I have also applied for ESTA although this was as a precaution because the info I've found says you only need it if you are arriving in the US by sea or air. It was free to apply though so no harm done if I don't need it.

5. Posted by jambo101 (Respected Member 414 posts) 7y

Just be honest at the border and you shouldnt have a problem,be precise about your destination and length of stay,do bring your return airline ticket as it will be helpful in proving your visitor status and might make it easier returning to Canada.. Make a plan-B just in case entry is denied.

[ Edit: Edited on 27-Jul-2009, at 00:50 by jambo101 ]

6. Posted by j3nn1f3r14 (Budding Member 60 posts) 7y


i am from the uk and travelled from Vancouver to Seattle earlier this year.

No paper work is needed, but you should be prepared to tell the border people how long you will be there for, where you will be staying, what you are going for. And yeah bring your return flight ticket home to the uk as proof that you will def be leaving.

you should be fine!

7. Posted by mwsmith25 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 7y


We're UK citizens currently staying in Niagara on the Lake in Canada and we thought going to Buffalo NY for a day would be a good idea. I dutifully applied for a Visa Waiver online (ESTA) and this was approved back in March. Today we did the trip into the US which turned out to be less straightforward than expected. We had to divert to fill in an I-94 which the official said could only be done there & then and not in advance as we were entering the US by land. ESTA only applies for entry by air, he said. This meant waiting for over an hour in the US immigration centre by Peace Bridge until we were called. :(

In addition to the I-94, our fingerprints and photos were taken. The whole process took 90 be prepared for a wait!

Hope your trip goes well. Mark.

8. Posted by goltho (Budding Member 6 posts) 6y


I know this is an old thread, but it's as close as I can get to my question. :) My specifics are:-

  • UK citizen
  • qualify for ESTA
  • I fly to the US (can be a one-way ticket, or can be a return ticket with a 4½ month interim)
  • I drive out one week later into Canada
  • I tour Canada for just over 3 months
  • I re-enter the US by road, intending to continue road tour for further month
  • I fly back to UK (either on new one-way ticket, or the return leg of the ticket above)


1) Will I have a problem entering by air on a 1-way ticket on the VWP and leaving by road into Canada
2) ESTA does not apply to road-entry from Canada. What will be the correct procedure for my (re-)entering the US by road with the intention of flying out within 90 days, bearing in mind I'm a UK citizen, not Canadian?

I've researched thoroughly, but can't find a specific case which fits my circumstances. Any help will of course be much appreciated. Thanks.

9. Posted by fhwill (Budding Member 23 posts) 6y

Don't spend a week in Seattle! I was there for 3 days and even that was too long!

10. Posted by goltho (Budding Member 6 posts) 6y

Quoting fhwill

Don't spend a week in Seattle! I was there for 3 days and even that was too long!

So any suggestions about the matter in hand?