Skip Navigation

New zealand-visa's? help please

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific New zealand-visa's? help please

  • 1
  • 2
Last Post
1. Posted by ontheedge (Full Member 90 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi me and my gf, are going to new zealand end of the year.
We are not wanting to get our working holiday visas as we dont want to waste it, but we want to work (cash in hand) as we are travelling around in our camper van, our question is

Do we need a visa if we are just going on holiday?

How much money do we need to prove we can support ourselves?

Can we apply for our working holiday visa whilst we are there if we decide to stay for a year and get proper jobs?


2. Posted by mojorob (Moderator 1047 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Quoting ontheedge

Do we need a visa if we are just going on holiday?

If you work "cash in hand" then you won't be just going on holiday - a working holiday visa allows the intention to work to be secondary. Entering the country as a tourist does not.

3. Posted by sunset1999 (Full Member 108 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

You may require a visa, depending on which country you hold citizenship.

4. Posted by ontheedge (Full Member 90 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Hi we live in a great country called england!
Iv had a look on the visa site for nz but im not sure if we should get a working holiday visa or not?,

with regard to us working 'cash in hand' the whole point of us doing this is so we dont use our working holiday visa, so if we were to get it like you say then why work cash in hand? we would be just get proper jobs!-we are going for a holiday but want to get casual work as we move around, so no real need for a working visa, as iv done this in oz and i wasted it by doing 'cash in hand' work.

So based on these facts do we need a visa to enter the country??

thanks for the replies dave

5. Posted by bex76 (Moderator 3859 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

You can apply for a working holiday visa once you are in the country, as long as your tourist permit is still valid. Have a look at the requirements here.

You don't need a visa to enter the country if you just on holiday - you'll get a permit stamped in your passport when you arrive. It's unlikely you'll be asked for proof of funds if you are entering on a tourist permit.

You should be able to pick up some casual cash in hand work such as fruit picking or cafe work but bear in mind many employers will not want to employ someone without a valid work permit, even for casual work.

6. Posted by Jerrycrow (Full Member 165 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

are there a lot of cash in hand jobs in NZ? what kind of jobs are these anyway? how do you find them?

7. Posted by goingback (Budding Member 6 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

If working in NZ you need a visa, if just going on holiday for less than 3 months you don't need any sort of visa if you hold a british passport, i'm traveling to Aukland in a few weeks. John H.

8. Posted by Missynz (Budding Member 13 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I'd imagine it would be pretty tough trying to find anything at the moment. Unemployment numbers are fairly high and school and university is about to finish for the summer break, so there will be plenty of students also looking for under the table work, in order to keep their student allowance payments.

9. Posted by sarahkeebs (Budding Member 22 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

I've been living and working in New Zealand for over 5 years- legally.

You will get issued a tourist visa for 3 months when you arrive at the airport provided you don't raise any alarms at passport control. You won't be allowed to work- it would be VERY hard to find a job off the books because of the unemployment rate being so high and the readily available steady stream of LEGAL workers. Take my word for that, I manage a bar in a popular tourist town.

If you get a working holiday visa- as a UK citizen you can extend it to 23 months once you're here and have a job. Also if you work part of the time picking fruit or some other horticultural stuff you can get another extention. I'm from the US and I got a working holiday visa and then was sponsored by my job to stay on.

New Zealand is such a small country it's not really worth trying to work without a visa because if you get caught and deported you might not be welcome back.

As for how much money you have to have- they don't always check. Credit card statements with available credit can be counted as funds. Check for up to date amounts.

Hope that's helpful.

10. Posted by trainrider (Full Member 95 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

If you enter new zealand on a british passport you will be issued with a 6 month non working visa on entry. You need to have 1000NZ$ for a 6 month entry visa

You can get a working holiday visa until the age of thirty. If you get a working holiday visa you will not be wasting it!!! You cant work without it! With it you can get a tax code and work for no more than 3 months in one place. Also If you leave new zealand before your visa expires the visa will be paused until you return, so if you leave after 6 months you can return later and use the remainding 6 months.

Check out for more info and to apply......this is what they say about working holiday visas for british passport holders..........

To be eligible
You must:

•usually be permanently living in the United Kingdom – this means you can be temporarily visiting another country when you lodge your application
•have a British passport that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
•be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
•not bring children with you
•hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket**
•have a minimum of NZ$350 per month of stay available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
•meet our health and character requirements
•be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work being a secondary intention for your visit
•not have been approved a visa or permit under a working holiday scheme before.


If you are already in New Zealand you also need to hold a valid temporary permit.

  • Applicants under this scheme who lodge their application for a working holiday scheme work visa or permit on or after 28 November 2005 can select either a 12-month or 23-month stay in New Zealand. Depending on the length of stay you choose you may be required to complete medical forms. There may be a renewable option for those who select a 12-month stay. Please refer to the Health section below for further details and to our questions and answers.
  • *You are required to hold sufficient funds for the duration of your visit and for the purchase of an outward ticket from New Zealand. Such evidence may be requested on arrival at the border.

When you’re here
•you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work permit while you’re here)
•you must not work for a period exceeding 12 months
•you can enrol in one or more courses of training or study of up to six months’ duration in total during your visit.

Hope this helps;)

[ Edit: Edited on 15-Nov-2009, at 10:53 by trainrider ]