Skip Navigation

travel insurance when I'm not really sure I'm a 'traveller'.

Travel Forums General Talk travel insurance when I'm not really sure I'm a 'traveller'.

1. Posted by flyingcows (Budding Member 4 posts) 7y

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a few pointers on insurance, and on whether I need travel insurance specifically.

I've been offered a job in China where I will be teaching English for at least a year. The university where I will be teaching has an insurance policy already which covers me for a fair chunk of medical expenses. However, I am wondering if I need to take out extra insurance in the event that (hopefully not!!) I need to be repatriated etc etc/cover my laptop etc. Or if I should just take out local insurance that would cover me for contents.

Anyway, any suggestions would be great! Plus if anyone has taught English in China before and has any tips, I'd love to hear from you!



2. Posted by Redpaddy (Inactive 1004 posts) 7y

You need to see the smallprint on the Chinese policy. Then you'll know what it covers - and what it doesn't. Simple as that.
Never been to China, so can't answer the rest.
Very best of luck.

[ Edit: Edited on 05-Jul-2009, at 11:46 by Redpaddy ]

3. Posted by flyingcows (Budding Member 4 posts) 7y

Thanks. The small print doesn't mention anything about repatriation costs. I am just wondering what people do generally when they find themselves working abroad and covered to some extent by employers' insurance, or what they'd recommend. Do people generally also take out extra insurance, and if so, is it travel insurance?

4. Posted by Redpaddy (Inactive 1004 posts) 7y

I did, when I was doing aid work in Eastern Europe. Someone did however tell me that sometimes it's risky to have 2 policies running alongside each other, as a central database can show that two claims have been made by the same person in the same country at the same time. Even though the claims were for different reasons (different terms and conditions on different policies), it could cause delays to a claim being paid. I asked my broker and he said that it isn't unusual to have two policies for travel. Also bear in mind, your Chinese insurance will be in your overseas employers name and will have blanket cover, whereas your policy will be in your name - so less complications (if any) when making a claim. Hopefully, you won't have to make one.

5. Posted by Aussi Di (Budding Member 10 posts) 7y

My advice would be to get travel insurance. Chinese hospitals are not like you have at home and if I was really sick or injured I'd want to be repatriated as soon as possible. Travel insurance is a must. Your university insurance will not send you home!!!

Post 6 was removed by a moderator

Also on Travellerspoint

Why travellers need good insurance

worldnomads promo code - SAVE7