Skip Navigation

qualifications. England to australia

Travel Forums General Talk qualifications. England to australia

1. Posted by connor693 (Budding Member 39 posts) 7y

I am thinking of taking a plastering course soon so i can travel around s.e asia and go and work in australia on a work visa to get money in between. Would i need to take a city and guilds course or an nvq to become a qualified plasterer in england and in australia?

Thanks for any input :D

2. Posted by MikeAllen (Full Member 129 posts) 7y

Good idea.. interested in doing something like this myself one day but will prbably do plumbing. If you do a course will you just do college or an apprenticship??

3. Posted by connor693 (Budding Member 39 posts) 7y

Erm.... Probably just college, i considered an apprenticship but i heard you get it done faster going to college. I also considered plumbing but apparently it can take roughly 4 years to be fully qualified, thats too long for me.

4. Posted by Redpaddy (Inactive 1004 posts) 7y

In England you can work as a plasterer without being qualified at all. All you need to do is prove the quality of your work is good and when the jobs come along, you can go for them.
There's no law that states you must have qualifications to be a plasterer.

5. Posted by connor693 (Budding Member 39 posts) 7y

oh, thats great, didnt know that. Do you know if it is the sam ein australia? And do you know if the rules are the same in terms of plumbers, bricklayers, electricians etc..

Thanks :D

6. Posted by Redpaddy (Inactive 1004 posts) 7y

I can't help you with Oz - never been (I'm an Africa - Europe - N. America traveller).
Perhaps if you ask in the Oz forum - someone will help you.

Post 7 was removed by a moderator