Hi everyone im going to be backpacking it to most of the major cities in the states next year. As with most backpackers,im going to be on a pretty tight budget,so was wondering if anyone has any tips for cheap accomadation and cheap travel please?? Im also worried about the travelling alone thing,any tips on meeting new people whilst on my merry way? Thanks!
First thing you to need to do, is tell us your total budget as accurately as you can. It can mean the difference between camping, hostelling, eating out and cooking over a wood fire.
Without having a budget to work with and knowing where you are backpacking to in the US, it's difficult to guide you.
However I would recommend hostels for your accommodations and social networking outlets like nyclinkup.com, meetup.com and meetmarketadventures.com. As a woman I use all three of these networks to make new friends.
For accomodations, it probably does not get any cheaper than couchsurfing.org!
For transport, here are a few thoughts:
- There is only one intercity passenger rail company in the USA, Amtrak
- Travel by bus tends to be pretty cheap, but less comfortable. Greyhound is the major national bus company and covers (more or less) the entire country, but in certain regions such as the Northeast (between Washington DC and Boston) there are several competitors like Megabus that can have very low fares and provide additional amenities on board.
- You can search for most airline fares & schedules using kayak.com, but one very important airline will not show up in their results - Southwest is an airline whose low fares and very flexible ticket change policies make it worth checking for any air travel one might consider.
- Hiring a car for one-way rentals is usually very expensive - unless you are able to pick up and drop off the car in the same city, a car rental will probably bust your budget
- Another potential way to travel on the cheap is by ridesharing, for that I usually use Craigslist
Good luck in planning!
Sorry totally forgot to mention the budget! A friend told me that the maxium time i can spend in America is 90 days without a greencard,so hopfully i can get together about £4000 after paying for my flights,for that time! Fingers crossed the pound will be abit stronger by the time i leave! Im going to the American embassy tomorrow to get some info about applying for a greencard any tips would be great thanks! Thanks alot for the info so far everyone,the meeting people sites will be a great help!