Skip Navigation

Is it possible to extend Schengen visa?

Travel Forums Europe Is it possible to extend Schengen visa?

1. Posted by rose315 (Inactive 8 posts) 7y

Hi guys,
The advice that I was given last time was very helpful. So, I sincerely thank you all. I had a great time in Hungary. What a great country! It was a very short visit, but well worth it.
Friend of mine is travelling in Europe at present. She wants to do a bit more travelling if possible. She initially had a month (C type) Schengen visa. At present, she has the visa that is valid for another 4 days. She asked me to get some info regarding visa extension. I have been checking online for any info. However, I could not find any. She does not want to over stay as she respects the rules and regulations. All she wants to know is if she could extend the visa legally before it expires.
1) Does anybody know if she could extend her visa for up to a week?
2) If so, where could she get that extended (name and address of the office or the website address would be helpful). She does not mind going to any country to be able to extend it.
3) if not, does she have any other options?
I would be so grateful for any information.

[ Edit: Edited on 23-Jul-2009, at 13:38 by rose315 ]

2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y

What citizenship does your friend have?

As a rule it is impossible to extend a tourist visa, whether it be a proper Schengen C tourist or visit visa or the 90 day visa-free period.

There are some exceptions that apply to people of certain nationalities in some countries in the Schengen area when they apply for a residency permit, but you did not give enough information to determine if this is the case with your friend.

3. Posted by rose315 (Inactive 8 posts) 7y


[ Edit: Edited on 24-Jul-2009, at 02:49 by rose315 ]

4. Posted by rose315 (Inactive 8 posts) 7y

Hi there,
She is a permanent resident in the UK, but She is Srilankan.
Thanks for your time.

[ Edit: Edited on 24-Jul-2009, at 02:49 by rose315 ]

5. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y

No friggin chance for her to extend that visa.

Exception would be made if she was in a hospital and could not leave without serious damage to her life or permanent health, then she could get an extension for humanitarian reasons. Or if the police arrested her.

But just for travelling around? No way.

6. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y

Hm. Difficult if not impossible.

C-type Schengen visa are non-extendable beyond the 90-days-in-180 period. The residency thing that Maia mentioned to my knowledge does not apply to citizens with Sri Lankan nationality; they're too 'third-worldly' to be installed that amount of trust by European states :(

No options, as far as I can see. But I suppose she could go back to the UK, and travel again after 3 months?

7. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y

One more thing: even if it was possible to extend the visa it would only be valid for the country where it was extended. The immigration authorities of the individual Schengen member states do not have the authority to act on behalf of all the Schengen member states. Only the embassies can do that.

So she needs to apply for another Schengen visa at one of the embassies in London.

8. Posted by rose315 (Inactive 8 posts) 7y

Thanks guys for your information. It has been a great help. I would let her know, I am sure she could go back some other time.