Im going to Oz in a few weeks, I want to do a few things whilst there, ie- I have seen a 5 day outback tour, has anyone done these tours before, if so were they any good?
One other thing..... When I get to Oz do they have some kind of Travel or tour place, where I can arrange these trips??? so many questions lol...........
Heh. Tour companies will be competing to take you places pretty much from the moment you step off the plane. All hostels will have a ton of flyers about such tours (and will mostly likely be able to book them for you), and there's also a couple of travel agencies specializing in backpacker tours and activities which you can find all over.
Just remember that anything these tour companies do, you can probably also arrange for yourself, and better. I know it can be very nice to let other people take care of all the hassle for you, but if there's things you really want to do, it's frequently worth to do your own research (find your own accommodation and figure out transport) and get to linger in places for longer.
I think I saw you say somewhere else that you were going to be in Australia for at least 4-5 months, and if so, you can totally take the time to take things slow and figure it all out on your own.
(Btw, for future reference, these questions are better asked in the Australia & New Zealand forum rather than here in "General Talk". You'll get more replies there. Don't worry about this thread, though: a Moderator for this forum will probably pop up very soon to move it there.)
[ Edit: Edited on 25-Jul-2009, at 12:05 by Sander ]
A few things I would recommend doing in no particular order.
1.Take a boat out to the Great Barrier Reef-I did this in cairns and went out to Michaelmas Cay. If you snorkel be very careful to cover up from the sun. I thought I'd been really careful but |I burnt really badly.
2. Sidney harbour bridge walk - not as scarey as it may seem. Bit touristy maybe but I would still recommend it. Book on their website in advance for good rates.
3. Uluru - Simply amazing and this is something which a lot of aussies have never seen!
4. Catch a plane or ferry from Adelaide to Kangaroo island and take a tour. We saw roos, koalas, echidnas and more and had a fantastic tour guide who even cooked lunch for us!
5. Take a train to Karanda (spelling?) from Cairns. Lots to see and do once you get there plus a very scenic journey. You can cuddle a koala at the zoo and there's a pie shop which is outstanding! Try the kangaroo pie!
6. From the Sydney area take a trip to the blue mountains
7. Visit the St Kilda area of Melbourne
8. From the Cairns area take a trip to the Daintree rain forest and Cape tribulation
9. Visit chapel street bazzare in melbourne
I was only in Oz for 3 weeks and a few days. It was a tour organised by a UK company and, although I agree that doing it yourself allows you more time in each place and is often cheaper, if you take a tour you won't miss a thing as the tour guides really know their stuff and places to go. I saw more in three weeks than my friend did in 5 weeks on his own.
Have alook on Viator.com for trips- I have used them before and have found that I couldn't find the same trip cheaper anywhere else online.
I hope this helps- have a great time . If I wasn't going away myself in a few weeks I'd be jealous!!!
Thanks guys, that's really helpful! I will take a look at the site Alpha, you did alot of exciting stuff! all in 3 weeks! good on ya! Iv'e seen that Sydney Harbour Bridge Walk, I think I may do that...... I can't wait to go!
Thanks to Sander too, I will pop my questions in the forum you sugessted, your'll be seeing my questions alot lol