Skip Navigation

In to China by car

Travel Forums Asia In to China by car

1. Posted by Cammyminor (First Time Poster 1 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Has anybody driven their own car in to China and travelled within the country?What entry paperwork is required for car?Are right hand drive cars allowed?Is it true that you need to be accompanied by escort throughout stay?Would prefer to go in from Kyrgyzstan rather than Mongolia but either way to get me in woul be OK.

2. Posted by madpoet (Respected Member 415 posts) 8y Star this if you like it!

Interesting question. I'm curious to know the answer myself, even though I live in China. All I can tell you is that you need an international driver's license to drive in China (obtained in your home country) and all the cars here are, of course, left hand drive (except in Hong Kong). Whether right-hand drive cars are legal or not, I can't tell you.

I assume you have some kind of land rover/SUV? You will need it if you are travelling in Central Asia and Western China.

3. Posted by matata (Budding Member 4 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

i've seen a similar post in fodors. check it out there.