Skip Navigation


Travel Forums Europe visa

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by Neil.Seng (Budding Member 9 posts) 7y

i have a very concerning Visa question

I am 17 years old playing youth football in Belgium and need help aquiring a visa

as of now i have tried many things to aquire a visa, a probation contract everything, the Town hall

said I have no income or a parent here im living in leuven on a temporary address for a year

the club said no I cant be an illegal and the Town hall said to fly home every three months

but on the internet it said I can not return untill another 90 days

So my question is

I arrived here 5th of July 2009 and if I leave October 1st-4th and then return immediately like october 10th

would I be allowed back in the country?

Neil Seng

2. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y

I'll just give it one more try:

At the very least we need to know a) where you're from; b) what type of contract you have with this football club c) how long you initially planned on staying.

But I can hazard a guess at my eventual answer: your situation is probably hopeless, which means you have to be gone before October 5th (assuming your current visa is for 90 days). In most Schengen countries, you can't change the nature of your stay from short-stay (C-type) to long-stay (D-type): you should have applied for a long-stay visa before coming over. I'm pretty sure that is how it works in Belgium, too.

Second: this town hall clerk is talking rubbish: the short-stay visa is non-extendable, and after it expires you have to leave the Schengen area for at least 90 days.

Third: I am rather surprised you ended up in this mess. If you were invited to play youth football, the organisation for which you play should have taken care of the paperwork.

[ Edit: Edited on 05-Aug-2009, at 09:00 by bentivogli ]

3. Posted by Neil.Seng (Budding Member 9 posts) 7y

im from the US

and the contract was a probation contract but that didnt work

and I plan on staying here in Belgium for a while or at least the EU long term

but like I said im 17 not receiving any income and going to american school with no parents

and how could I apply for a longterm visa then if I am under 18?


4. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y

Yep, like I said: situation's absolutely hopeless.

Your only choice is to go back to the US before your visa expires. If you want to return to Belgium, applying for a visa as a student is your best (actually, your only) bet: the educational institute of your choice can give more information about that.

Whatever you do, don't stay in Europe after your visa expires. You will get caught eventually, when leaving: the fines are very stiff, and you will experience great trouble if you ever want to visit Europe again.

[ Edit: Edited on 05-Aug-2009, at 09:09 by bentivogli ]

5. Posted by Neil.Seng (Budding Member 9 posts) 7y

you also suggested something about a long-term visa if I get on the paper work now and my family in the US submitts

do they have visa that are long -term tourist visa?


6. Posted by Neil.Seng (Budding Member 9 posts) 7y

or a long-term visa as in student visa or work visa etc....

7. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y

Long-term tourist visa does not exist. Plus, you'd need a valid reason to apply for a long-stay one: a contract with your football squad would have been one, study is another. Given your age and concommitant lack of qualifications, I think it's safe to say that these are your only options. And even so, you will still need to return to the US first.

[ Edit: Edited on 05-Aug-2009, at 09:15 by bentivogli ]

8. Posted by Neil.Seng (Budding Member 9 posts) 7y

I had a contract with the football club and the Town hall rejected it

it said:

This year he will be under supervision/testing of the club

if the next year he is still with the club he will earn X amount/month and X amount/win/roster

Even so for a Education Visa could I go to University of Leuven with the intentions of not seeking a degree

and take a flemish language class along with a french language class and see if I can get a Education Visa


9. Posted by bentivogli (Travel Guru 2398 posts) 7y

At the very least, the club should have declared that they will cover for all your expenses in this first year and that they assume full liability for anything you do; no wonder the authorities didn't agree. Whose idea was it that you'd come on a tourist visum anyway? Sounds like they seriously need to replace their staff.

Re language course: yeah, I suppose that is possible. If you set everything up now, you might still be able to obtain a long-stay visa for studying that starts when your short-stay visa ends. Here's a link to their international office; if they're any bit like the rest of the university, you will find them friendly and efficient.

10. Posted by Neil.Seng (Budding Member 9 posts) 7y

The only problem would be is the lack of a diploma from the states and I am finishing up online I could get paperwork from my former school and see what they could pass on to the University in some form to let me in just for a language weather or not they give me a visa or not is up to them I am assuming

Thanks for all the help will reply later if I get to stay or have some more questions

Neil Seng