A friend and I are going to India for the first time in November. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice on the following topics:-
- A cheap and basic but not too horrible place to stay in Delhi when we first arrive
- 4 friends are coming to join us at Christmas when we are going to be in Kerla, I am looking for some huts on a beach that the sea is not to dangerous to swim in. Kovalam and Varkala look like the best options in terms of beach but they do look busy. Any suggestions of places to stay over this period would be much appreciated
- A suggestion of somewhere to stay in Goa for 6 people over New Year
- Any advice on good dive sites in the Kerala region
Once my friends leave in mid Jan i will be travelling alone for 3 months in India any top tips for a female travelling alone in India would be brilliant
Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge
Try looking for hotels at www.travelguru.com or www.makemytrip.com.
I believe Varkala is an ideal place for hanging out !
Jan-March would be an ideal time in India, dry and cool !!
It is pretty much safe in India, just follow the usual precautions as is expected for a tourist
Try travelling in AC-3tier coaches in trains, the fare of which is just slightly more than the ordinary sleeper class and is safe and secure.
Additionally take the following precautions:
1. Dont hang out too late at night, especially in isolated places
2. Dress modestly
3. If ur lost and need help avoid middle-aged men, seek help from women or elderly people
4. Try to book ur train/air tickets in advance
Do let me know if u need any specific info
I am booking accomodation in Goa through www.Ownersdirect/Goa, some lovely accomodation very reasonable, they have villas, apartments and guest houses. You may find accomodation for other parts of your holiday too, but will probably better suit the group than single traveller.
Check out www.hostelworld.com ... I find this website very useful!!
There are a number of good but cheap hotels on Paharganj Road within one kilimeter area of New Delhi Railway station. How much is your budget for hotel per day per room? You can find a good hotel in about Rs. 800 - 1500 per room (double occupancy). Now for the beach destination you can look for Marari Beach, just 11 KM from Alappuzha. It is relatively less crowded than Kovalam and Verkala and safe for swimming.
She had asked in Aug 2009, and I can see people are still replying to this thread.