Skip Navigation

Info for 2 yr. residency for usa citzen in netherlands

Travel Forums Europe Info for 2 yr. residency for usa citzen in netherlands

1. Posted by craftykidd (Budding Member 2 posts) 7y

We are wanting to tour Europe for 2 yrs and would like to know about becomming a resident in Netherlands. We are USA citzens and want to be in the scheggan countries for more than a year before returning to the US. We are retired with a income.We will buy a campervan for travelling.

2. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y

As US citizen you can fly overand apply for the residency permit once you are inside the Netherlands.

Note though that the application fees for a residency permit in the Netherlands are quite steep (several hundred EUR per person), if I was you I would apply for a residency permit in Germany. AFAIK it is easier to do there (less paperwork, faster processing) and the application fee is only 75 EUR per person.

3. Posted by awal3207 (Budding Member 3 posts) 7y

Are the following correct in this case?

1. I thoughout becoming a temprary resident (D-type Visa) was not valid for tourism reasons.
2. Nationals from a number of countries (including US, Australia etc.) do not require MVV/temporary visas there fore no cost should be involved.
3. Even if you resided in the Netherlands/Germany for two years, based on Schlengen Zone Visa rules you can only still only spend a maxium of 90 days per 180 days in Schlengen Zones outside of the Netherlands/Germany given you do not have 'European' passports.


(Sorry for recent replies revolving around same topics)

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3290 posts) 7y

Since you already started your own thread I'll reply to your question there.

It is not very polite to hijack the thread of another poster because the original poster gets an automated email notification everytime somebody replies.