I've injured one or more ligaments in my knee, uninsured. So one of the options I'm weighing is to take a trip to India as the costs are much lower (I've seen listings in the $5k range). Unless another country is clearly superior, I'd prefer to go to India as I have friends who speak Hindi that might be persuaded to join me if the trip is feasible. I've heard great things about these forums and was wondering if anybody here could offer some insights:
1) Does anybody have experience with medical travel? Where are some trustworthy places to look?
2) I do all my work online. Which Indian cities are preferable in terms of connectivity?
3) Since I'd be shelling out a few grand for knee surgery, I'd like to spend some time there, but on the cheap side. Could anybody give me give me an estimate for the cheapest rates I would get for a hotel providing tolerable internet service? Dial-up probably isn't enough.
4) I have no experience traveling outside the US. I have direct deposit for my bank, but am wondering how one might go about accessing those funds while in a foreign country.
5) If you can think of anything related (to medical travel and working online while abroad) that I missed, I'd love any input.
Consider Chennai where the level of Medical profession is very high.
Consider hospitals such as Apollo,
MIOT and few more by working the internet.
Maybe Bangalore also.
The pace of South Indian cities is slower than that of the North and comparitively, less commercial.
Welcome to India!
As Shrinagesh said, Chennai is considered as the Medical capital of India... And MIOT especially is famous for Bones and ligaments... My friend recently had a knee ligament operation there... They have lot of foreign patients coming over there... but mostly from middle ease and Africa... and they employ specialist doctors from Europe and US in many cases.
They have apartments too inside the hospital specially catering the foreigners...
As such, Chennai is good city to be in(but poor in nightlife) and one can easily survive with English in Chennai and Internet wont be a problem there... as broadband is almost available everywhere in Chennai...
Yes...agree with above two memebers...Chennai would be the best place.
You can choose any one of the hospitals mentioned above.
No need to worry about your other points.All are available like connectivity, online payment etc etc, withdrawl of cash thru ATM etc.
Another important point is that seems for patients who have registered with any one of the reputed hospitals, you havea quick immigration and customs clearance at the arrival airport and you ca be picked up by the hospital.You may check with the hospital concerned for more details.