Skip Navigation

Help With China Visa

Travel Forums Asia Help With China Visa

1. Posted by aledshiv (Budding Member 30 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

HI all,

Me and a friend are currently travelling in Australia and looking to visit Asia on the way home, we are hoping to fly into Bangkok and then travel through Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, After this we are looking to travel from Vietnam to Hong Kong and then onto Beijing via train.

I am currently unsure of the visa requirements and was hoping someone could help me with this. As I understand, it is quite difficult to get a visa to China, is this true? what is the besty way of going about it?? Do I need a visa to enter China before I go to Hong Kong and then another when I leave HK to return to China??

We both hold a UK passport.

Any help would be great.

2. Posted by ErolGirl (Budding Member 82 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

As far as I know from my own research into this you have to apply for the visa before you go, you can't get one on entry. The website for the Chinese embassy ( has info on there for you to have a look at, maybe if your in Australia for a while apply there. You are supposed to get the visa 1-3 months before you go. That website has links that have the forms you need to fill in, which seem pretty simple.

As for Hong Kong I think if you are a UK resident you will get a 90 day visa on entry, so long as you have proof of onward travel from Hong Kong.

But I have never been so hopefully someone who HAS been can give you more certain advise!!

[ Edit: Edited on 06-Oct-2009, at 11:34 by ErolGirl ]

3. Posted by Swept Away (Travel Guru 1115 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

You are Brits? Its as easy as buying a big mc. meal at KFC. I think its easy for everybody who just wants to be tourist.

No, I mean Mc.donalds. Just hit the consulate or one of the zillions of agencies who can get you a tourist or even bussiness visa.