Skip Navigation

Aus visa stuff... sorry-very quick question

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Aus visa stuff... sorry-very quick question

1. Posted by 99leesea (Inactive 7 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

Hi there,

I am due to travel Thai - Aus - NZ over 4 months beginning next month, I just have a query about my Aus working holiday visa.

I am due to land in Aus on the 10th of December and have been granted a working holiday visa for my time there (about 5 weeks).

I now realise that I don't actually think that I will be carrying out any work there during my stay. This is rather annoying as a tourist visa is much cheaper and I paid £235 for my working hol visa (through an agency called visa

I have two questions:

How much is a simple tourist visa for a 5 week stay in Aus ?

Do you think that it is possible for me to have the working holiday visa cancelled and money refunded and a simple tourist visa in it's place ?

Any help much appreciated.



2. Posted by JoanneC84 (Budding Member 9 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

OUCH think youve been stung here mate!!

I paid 99.00 for a year long working visa through aus immigration site

I doubt very much you will be able to get a refund, and i thought they only did the working visas for a min of 1yr and then an option of a short stay visa which lasts up to 3 months?

hope you get it sorted mate

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 5087 posts) 7y Star this if you like it!

According to the website of the Australian Department of Immigration (which, as Joanne says, is the place to get your visa; prices have gone up since the 1st of July, but the current official charge is still no higher than 115 - any third party will charge you an unnecessary premium on top of this), you can cancel the visa (but you won't get a refund), which you definitely should do if you ever want to use a Working Holiday Visa again. (If you don't cancel it, and enter Australia within a year from its granting date, it'll count as the visa having begun, and so you'd have wasted it and won't ever be able to receive a new one.)

If you do not want to start your 12 month stay on your Working Holiday visa, and you plan to transit through Australia or enter on an ETA, CTA or MCV, you should consider cancelling your Working Holiday visa. You will then need to apply for an alternative visa before you travel to Australia. Information about visa options when transiting through Australia is available from the departmental website.

To have your Working Holiday visa cancelled, contact the Working Holiday visa processing centre. You may apply for another Working Holiday visa in the future but will need to pay another visa application charge.

Note: If you wish to travel to Australia on an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), Crew Travel Authority (CTA) or Maritime Crew Visa (MCV) before activating your Working Holiday visa, you should first cancel your Working Holiday visa. Cancelling your Working Holiday visa after obtaining an ETA, CTA or MCV will also cancel the ETA, CTA or MCV.

Contact information can be found on the same website.

Quoting 99leesea

How much is a simple tourist visa for a 5 week stay in Aus ?

Getting an eVisitor (a new 'form' of ETA, available mostly only to citizens of 'Western' countries), which allows you to visit for up to three months, is completely free. (An ETA costs AUD $20.)

[ Edit: Edited on 14-Oct-2009, at 02:38 by Sander ]